Reef Discussion

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Another new but 'unique' member to the mantis crew!
Hello all =)

Today I received word from a friend that he was dispatching the mantis I had long been hoping to get off him =) it is a rather unique stomatopod compared to my others, anyone that knows stomatopods may contest this however it is G.smithii but of an ultra rare breed one that many of the most professional stomatopod researchers have only seen a few times....

Here is Dr. Roy Caldwells post on it being a "new" species! (the post was made in 2010 and still there considered ultra rare)
http://ibatberkeley.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/stomatopod/

Here is the G.smithii (same as above 'new' species that I just acquired)
aimg194.imageshack.us_img194_24_sam0180v.jpg
aimg835.imageshack.us_img835_2307_sam0178t.jpg
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4519/sam0177x.jpg[/URL]

This little stomatopod has got me very excited and making me think about setting up a tank separate from my "ultimate multi mantis system" just for it to show off its uniqueness.

More to come

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
how does the "new" smithii compare to the existing 2 that you have. Is there ifferences in the menial spot colouration (generally a diagnistic feature of each of the species)? If you have photos to illustrate this, it would be very helpful in "educating" the rest of us as to the significance of your new individual

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Its difficult to get a decent pic with this little fella considering size and now that he is in his enclosure and acclimated he won't be that visible until I get the larger system up and running.

Having said that, the website link I provided shows a picture of the same mantis I have where you can see its menial spot, (black with white rimming) mine is the exact same as this one in the photo its just that the one in the photo on the site was done with a much better camera, something I wish to mimic =)

How I know this is 'ultra rare new' species, a while back when I was first interested in the mantis I contacted Dr. Caldwell with the pictures that the seller provided curious to know its species identity I totally didn't think it was a G.smithii (the pics are long gone now) it is then that Dr. Caldwell told me what was and how rare they are, if I recall rite Dr. Caldwell has only seen a couple of these in his 40yrs of research including this one I just obtained.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Once I get my larger system up and running I will be able to provide more detailed pics and videos of all my stomatopods =) perhaps I will create profiles for them =D this weekend the "temporary housing tank" is being setup then next weekend the current large tank is being broken down and removed to make room for the larger system incoming =D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
would be apprecited. I for one am interested in the difference of this new "G. smithii" when compared to the other G. smithii

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I managed to get a more up close picture of this new 'mutant'

You can see 1/2 of the menial spot in this pic as its appendages are in and not out, its coloration is quite different to all other G.smithii I have seen, the bright white antenna stand out a lot, It has a harlequin style color scheme to it.
aimg19.imageshack.us_img19_9025_sam0191b.jpg

Still...I'll manage to get better pics once my other tanks are in place and running etc.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
The top parts of the antenna look like they might fluorese (sp?) in UV? Pretty colors for sure!!
You are correct. Thanks for the interest :D!

very beautiful. Yes I can see differences to other "smithii"
All the pics I have provided don't justify the really beautiful colors this G.smithii has. Promise to provide better ones when my new system is setup! :cool:

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
My Smithii that I had had a white rim around its spot :( now even more upset that it died !!!!!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
My Smithii that I had had a white rim around its spot :( now even more upset that it died !!!!!
The black dot surrounded by a white dot is what gives it the identification of being a G.smithii, even though the colors varie the menial spot colors stay the same.

Although the colors varie there menial spot stays the same
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...eumalacostraca/royslist/images/g_smithii1.jpg
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...eumalacostraca/royslist/images/g_smithii2.jpg
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...eumalacostraca/royslist/images/g_smithii3.jpg
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...eumalacostraca/royslist/images/g_smithii4.jpg
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...eumalacostraca/royslist/images/g_smithii5.jpg

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Anyone that owns/owned a stomatopod should feel special! :D

BECAUSE.....

They own/owned the worlds most formiddable living creature (weight for weight / pound for pound)

They own/owned a creature that if given the tools, could sit down with you and have a full blown conversation (although it would be full of profanity coming from the stomatopod most likely).

They own/owned a creature that has the greatest eye sight in the animal kingdom.

Owners of stomatopods past & present, are truly blessed & lucky for these creatures offer so much more then anything else in the hobby & they take next to NOTHING from there owners (maintenance, stress, costs etc), they deserve far far far more credit & love then we currently give them!

One author of a popular reef magazine quoted that.....
"Of all the living creatures great and small (inc corals) that reside in Australia's Great Barrier Reef, none can compare to the attractive mesmerizing colors of the Peacock Mantis Shrimp, Odontodactylus scyllarus."

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Any one that owns a living creature should feel special. Although considered intelligent, when compared to cephalopods (ie cuttlefish, octopus, squid, etc), they barely rate on the intelligence scale.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I have often wished I could have an octopus. I remember reading about how a zoo aquarium in the UK were having problems with someone stealing their display fish. They would disappear ovrernight. After much investigation and considerable hassle, they finally witnessed the octopus that was kept in a tank several metres away, climb out of its tank, crawl across to the fish tank, climb in, catch and eat a fish then return to its own tank.:eek Then again, who wants a pet thats smarter than its owner?
A peacock mantis would be a pretty nice addition, though :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Cephalopods are great, I have kept them on several occasions. Only drawback is that nearly all of the are annual species, with their natural lifespan rarely exceeding a year

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Yes, I'd read/seen that also - hardly worth the $180 price tag (that I once saw) at the LFS, is it?:(
Have you seen the doco about the Humbolts squid breeding out of control near (I think) California? People go swimming and diving and swarms of the buggers appear and bite chunks out of their arms and legs. And forget managing to pull in a catch if you're fishing -they maul it before you see it. They also have interesting signalling patterns - quite complicated messages.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Which brings me back to the ....

"they take next to NOTHING from there owners (maintenance, stress, costs etc)"

:D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes, sorry for hijacking this threat. Colour change in cephalopods is under the control of the central nervous system (they think colour change and it happens). Their colour change is instant. Not only that, they can change the texture of their skim. Some species of cuttlefish use flashing collies to "mesmerize" their prey. Truly fascinating creatures!