Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Anemone
Hi guys, I want to put a small anemone in my nano tank (23l). This is a stupid noob question, but if I put it in there, how am I going to be 100% sure the bicolour blenny will not go and sit on it? Is it instinct for it to stay away from it, or will it possible go and kill itself?

Thanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Dynamic, I am going to suggest that you don't get an anemone :(.

Anemone's are fairly delicate organisms and require stable water conditions in order to thrive. A common recommendation is that they should not be added to a tank which has been established for less than 12 months - this ensures that the tank has matured and will be less susceptible to fluctuations in the water parameters, and you will have gained some experience in maintaining the tank and will be in a better position to look after the anemone.

Also, your tank is really too small to keep any anemone with sessile species. It is a recipe for disaster if/when they move in the future (no doubt, while you are away). I think you would have trouble providing the required flow without the waves crashing over the side of the tank and, no matter where the anemone is located, it will never be far from a powerhead - an anemone chewed up by a powerhead is likely to wipe out your entire tank.

Anemone's can live in excess of 100 years in the wild and we should all think carefully before getting one for our tanks.

:)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Can I add that I do understand the appeal of anemone's. I bought a small white one (probably better described as bleached) many years ago before I knew better and forums such as this were not available. It slowly deteriorated until it died some 6 months later. About 3 years later I bought a small rose BTA which flourished for many years, and split twice. I eventually returned this to the LFS when I closed my tank down.
DSCN1348.JPG

I think what I am trying to say is - don't get an anemone unless you are confident that you can provide the right conditions for it to live forever :)

Axe S

Aug 29, 2011
Gladstone Qld
flow wise you should be right if you set up the tank correctly.. My wife has one in her Nano size tank (but this is plumbed into my sump so water quality is not really a problem..)
This anemone has been in the tank for 6 - 9 mths, and has been doing very well..

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
25l of water is a he'll of a lot more unstable then 200l+!!!
If you do get one I wish you luck would hate to see it nuke the tank :( like they are oh so prone to do!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If you provide the right conditions, an anemone will grow - the one in the picture above expanded to around 30cm diameter during the day. Might be a tight fit in a 23l nano :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No powerheads in the tank :DOverflow well screened :DNo other sessile species in the tank :DPlumbed into a larger system for added stability :D

Looks like a nice little species specific setup.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
if you are after a tough anemone for a small tank that looks identical to a bubble tip, try Anemonia cf. majano. These are great little critters and do not get large enough to eat fish. If you look in the thread for my nano, mine is the wone wheich is housing the anemone crabs.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
A lot of people call majano anemone's apest because they spread and can take over a tank (apparently) but if they were in a tank like the one pictured above and seperated from the main display but still plumbed into the same system can they spread into the display via water borne spores or something? I ask because I am consider setting up another tank in the same system as mine and dont know if I want anemones or seahorses in there... I cant help thinking that anemones are a risk... adn I dont like risks in my tanks, generally speaking!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
depends on the clone of majano. They are very tough and generally spred by pedal laceration or fission and not by sexual reproduction. If you are plumming into a main display, probably better not to introduce this species. However, that said, I have one in my display nano that has not moves, split or caused harm to the other occupants.