Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Anemone Dominated 102 litres
Introduction: This tank was going to be a dedicated frag tank for softies and matting corals but I recently bought my first Bubble Tip Anemone and soon after saw another gorgeous Bubble Tip for sale. It quickly became apparent which direction the new tank should go!

Reefing Since: January 2007
System Objectives: BTA dominated with Pulsing Xenia, macro and captive raised Clowns from Oceanarium. My focus is on nutrition, maintaining colour and asexual division.
Type of reef: Anemone-Safe Display

Display System: On order from Mentone Aquarium
Initial Fill Date: May 2012
Display Tank Dimensions: 24 (l) x14 (w) x18 (h) or 102 litres
Display Lighting: Illumagic M-120S Blaze series (LED)
Stand: On same cabinet as my 200 litre soft coral tank
Sump Design: TBA

Support systems:
NSW or ASW: ASW
Display Water circulation: TBA - this tank will be plumbed into my softie tank, still researching how
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 3000
Skimmer: The water will be shared with my soft coral tank which has a Reef Octopus Module 2x external HOB
Evaporation Top Up: Manual

Chemical additions:
Calcium Addition: Kalkwasser
Coral Food Addition: Eric Borneman’s Coral Recipe and Aquavitro Fuel for Reefs

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Plumbing side by side tanks seems to be a challenge, the lack of gravity being the biggest problem from what I have read so far. I am considering plumbing both tanks into my 100L water tank I have at ground level next to the tanks for ASW storage - still trying to wrap my head around what I need to do to make this all work.

Illumagics came from Bunarong Aquarium in Frankston. Love my light :)

My second anemone purchase is on board a courier van as we speak - should arrive around lunchtime!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Or should arrive... now! Woohoo! Haven't opened the box yet - I always feel sick in my stomach before I open a marine purchase, hoping everyone on board is ok. Off to acclimatise my new pet....

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Are you going to get any of those mini maxi nems?
Didn't know we could get them here? I have 4 colour variants of Entacmaea quadricolor on the cards:
- Speckled Orange Tip BTA - have this already
- Blue BTA - just arrived - very well packaged but suffering from shipping stress with open mouth, hopefully will be ok. The blue colour is amazing, REALLY bright in just natural light through the bag.
- Candy Apple Rose BTA - arriving in March
- Rose BTA - hopefully in March

Luke not planning on keeping those but I have a single Aiptasia you can buy from me that has never reproduced? Its a rare form... $200 +postage ;)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yeah they come from WA, havnt seen as awesome colours as the ones on RC but still very cool.

The collector the last ones I saw come from was Wayne, they wernt that pricey either. Darren at reef secrets has alos had them in the shop

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
he is being rude-as in ' women have their mouths open all the time as they don't shut up' rude;)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
So glad you have this TJ, I was planning a nano build full of rock pool nems after seeing a spectacular display last week, phew you just saved me making up some tall story as to why I need another tank!
Good luck with it.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Bought some ingredients for my version of Eric Borneman's Coral Recipe yesterday. I bought frozen foods as they were available from the freshwater aquarium near my house but I am thinking fresh seafood from the local market will be better for next time and perhaps less expensive? Anyone a fan of seafood that could tell me what sort of prices I could buy it fresh?

Ingredients:
Frozen Rotifers $4.95
Baby Brine Shrimp Nutra Glow 50g $13.95
Whole Prawn 125g $8.50
Whole Mussel 500g $28.95
Frozen Brine Shrimp $5.95
TOTAL $62.30

I already have spirulina, frozen mysis shrimp, marine pellet of some description for finicky eaters and I plan on adding a dash of Aquavitro as well as phytoplankton to the mix in the future but don't have any currently.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Wow, way too much for the muscles, you should be able to get a kg for that price. Try even getting fishing bait, depending where you get it it would be quite
fresh.