Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Add 1 More Fish To 2 Ft Cade - Suggestion
Reefugers !!! Hi :)

I'm contemplating to add 1 more fish to a 2 foot cube CADE.

Stock list at the moment: 2 Percula Clown & 1 Kole Tang.

Thinking of adding something colorful but cheap and hardy at the same time.

Thinking of adding 1 or 2 Anthias .. the cheaper version.

What do you think I should add? if it's an Anthias, which would you suggest?

Compatibility is extremely preferred as these 3 have been buddies for a whileeeeeee now and I don't want to disturb their peace.

LPS & mushies/rics only; no SPS.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
@daveH has recently purchased a few anthias and might be offer a suggestion - I think your tank might be a bit small for what are, generally, fairly active swimmers.

You might be better off looking as some of the gobies or blennies.
Fire gobies excellent choice.
Open water swimmers like anthias.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I would suggest to stay away from Anthias in small tanks. They need space and a lot of feeding.

fish that would do well:
- Fire and decora gobies. Peacefull and tiny.
- Six line wrasser. Pests killer and good addition to any tank.
- Flame Hawk
- Gramma Loreto
- Flame Angel or any pigmy Angel, if you are willing to risk some corals.
- Bi-color or midas Blenny. Great personality and voracious algae eaters.
- Bangaii Cardinal single or pair.
- Small Cooperband. May struggle to feed.
- More Clownfishes.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Stay away from Flame angels, they WILL eat your corals. 9 times out of 10 they nip, they have a particular taste for clams and acans. If you're looking for something, firefish, Royal Grammas, Assessor basslets or any of the smaller algae blennys.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I would have thought adding addition clowns could cause problems, so I'd suggest not doing that.

I'd suggest:

Yellow or blue assessors (you can keep more than one together and they might even breed).

Golden wrasse or Melanurus wrasse (both Helichoeres) as long as you have a decent depth coral sand bed. But, you should have plenty of live rock to support it.

Orange striped cardinals.

Tiger blenny.

I wouldn't go with a angel in your tank.

Do you have lots of algae growing for that Kole or do you have to rely on feeding it algae?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Just to be extremely pedantic as I have now got less time for the tank ... I would prefer fish that:
  • okay with 1x feeding per 2 days, just like how my Clown & Kole ... definitely nothing like Anthias-like
  • Not a jumper
  • Hardy
  • Peaceful temperament
  • Yellow color (bright like YT) or Peach color (bright like Sunburst) just to give it a bit of color .. as you can tell with black (Kole) & orange (Clown) ... i want something different ... something vibrant .. just to give that ooooooooommmpphhhhh
  • 2 foot CADE tank with sand substrate w/ LPS, rics & mushies and the likes of scolly, acans, zoas et al
  • Something cheaper ... unlike Sunburst ... budget say hmmmm $60 - $80 or less :)
Maybe there's none, hey? LOL :D

I'm leaning towards Midas Blenny or Yellow Assessor.

Not quite sure if Midas Blenny colour is quite like Sunburst Anthias under Kessil A360 light.

Do you have lots of algae growing for that Kole or do you have to rely on feeding it algae?
I have lots of algae growing in the return pipe line.. this is basically my way of exporting (sort of) Po4 from the water ... to be frank, I can't see any growing on the rocks ... but I think the Kole might handle that ... I don't look at the tank that often now ... i know shame shame .... 1x WC per 3 weeks now .. sigh ~ .... anyway ...... yeah I don't feed Nori .. I used to but this past (maybe 1 year), Kole has been living from either frozen brine/mysis or (meat) pellets ...

@Savage Henry Melarunus Wrasse ... I seem have heard this in the past ... are these Tamarin wrasse likes? TW is cute, just like miniature of dolphin but hard to maintain ... unless they are tank hardened .. otherwise they live by the pods and I don't have pods (not that I'm aware of) hence my last TW (the only TW) did not survive.

I quite dig Randall Anthias ... which seems to be cheaper than Sunburst but this fish does not qualify my requirement ... and seems LFS here don't sell it (that often or maybe never)

Last edited:

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Get auto feeder
Been there done that ... @slin1977 i hate how it polluted my water and my No3 spiked high.

Went through the Siporax method, from what I recall you also doing Siporax thingo and it has maintain it to stable param at 0, well at least undetectable so would try to avoid repeating that again :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Been there done that ... @slin1977 i hate how it polluted my water and my No3 spiked high.

Went through the Siporax method, from what I recall you also doing Siporax thingo and it has maintain it to stable param at 0, well at least undetectable so would try to avoid repeating that again :)
You would find with your Siporax now that it's mature it would be more than capable in dealing with some extra feedings.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
The Yellow Assessor sounds perfect as it will find natural food in your tank. I don't know if they are jumpers as I always had a cover over my tank. Yellow Assessors are very hardy, but they do suffer quickly if taken out of the water so you have to be careful taking rocks in and out of the tank as they hide inside the rocks and if you forget they are inside one, they'll be dead in no time.

I'd definitely be adding Nori every day or two. My Yellow Tang doesn't eat that much natural algae off the rocks, but when I kept the bristletooth tang (similar to yours) it ate so much - it kept my rocks pristine. Since I got rid of the bristletooth, but kept the Yellow Tang, algae has grown all over my rocks now. So, I feed Nori every day. Alternatively, as you appear to be time deficient, why not let the rear glass and perhaps even one side glass wall grown algae? This is what I do and where my Coral Beauty mostly and also my Yellow Tang get there food.

I think a purple coloured fish would go well, how about an Orchid Dottyback? I don't know if they are jumpers???

Also, what about a Fu Manchu lionfish? They don't have to be fed that often right? How big are your clowns though?

As I've gotten more experienced with saltwater I've found it worthwhile saving up and spending more on fish as they do last if you take reasonable care of them.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Also Melanurus and Golden wrasse are nothing like Tamarin wrasse. Melanurus and Golden wrasse are very hardy and very easy to keep. I think they are both jumpers though.

Why not get a tank cover and if you are worried about CO2 build up, route your skimmer air inlet tube to outside your house or apartment to bring in fresh air to saturate your tank with.

Also, if you are that time deficient atm, and as everything is going fine right now, maybe just stick with what you have got for a while until you have more time? You could be introducing a new problem...