Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Acute And Chronic Torch Coral Damage, Repair And Prognosis
Hey all.

This afternoon while I was cleaning my tank, I noticed a small green thing floating in the tank... I looked a bit closer and i noticed it was part of my torch coral (eeeeeeek)...

This is a photo of where i think it came from:
IMG_9970.JPG

While i doubt there is much I can do... What can I do to help him out? Also what do i now need to watch out for? and what's the diagnosis/prognosis.

Also, another torch coral i purchased about 3 weeks ago had some skeleton showing when i bought it...

This is it:

IMG_9971.JPG

Thing is though, I am not too concerned about the skeleton showing... What that photo doesn't show very well is that there are a LOT of small baby polyps emerging out near the exposed skeleton... which leads me to believe this is chronic damage and the coral is regrowing and repairing! Yay!

What do you all think? I mean, it appears healthy, it takes food, has these small emerging polyps near the exposed skeleton... much to worry about or just keep letting it do its own thing? (Which i am leaning more towards) And what is the diagnosis/prognosis!

Thanks all!! :D

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Endone for the coral and Valium for you.
Both you and the coral will be fine in the morning.

BTW how's your KH?
I picked it as a problem many posts ago and your LFS tests confirmed it.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Endone for the coral and Valium for you.
Both you and the coral will be fine in the morning.

BTW how's your KH?
I picked it as a problem many posts ago and your LFS tests confirmed it.

I haven't tested it since last week, but when i did it was down to 12!

I was thinking I mightn't administer the endone to the coral. I might have it. It just seems such a waste of a perfectly good opioid ;) haha

I'll test again and I'll get back to you! Everything seems to be going great and algae growth has slowed down A LOT.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I would be chasing a KH of 8-9
For your set up.

I run 6.5 to 7.5 but my system is different to yours.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I always like to read your posts Dean! Always dramatic.

With my frogspawn and hammers I occasionally see bits of fluoro green floating around. This is usually after I have done some work in the tank or when the clowns that host my hammers have been aggressive. Nothing to worry about at all.

I currently have a problem with my hammers in that the tissue around the base, which I think of being like a skirt, is receding. I think it's due to water quality. I wonder if it will grow back?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The only thing I get out of opioids is the last meal I ate, now Versed is a whole nother story. :D

Torches, hammers and grape corals are very resilient. They are quite forgiving for oopses in chemical parameters, but not for very long. Get your parameters back in order and you should see an improvement.