Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Acro Losses And A Different Direction
Its been a while since i posted an update to my tank Journal.

Alot has happened and changed in my tank over the past few months.

Firstly I lost approx 16 colonies of Acropora and 2 rare Trachypillia's (True Red and Rainbow colored). The Acro losses were from me moving my return pump directly under the 2 part dosing output's. This meant that approx 420ml of calcium and Alk were being dump directly onto my acros every day for a couple of weeks via the return. Basically, the 2 part didn't get a chance to mix in the water before it hit the main display.
So over the period of about 5 day's i lost 16 acro's. I managed to stop it by moving the dosing lines, a huge water change and adding carbon + rowaphos.

I have no idea what has caused the death of my 2 Trachypillia's though, its such a shame as they were both beauties that I was fortunate enough to get from Ultra Coral's Australia as the rest went overseas. :banghead They were of the quality that you only see on US sites.

Anyway moving on from my painful sadness i have since stopped all zeovit dosing. It has been approx 4 weeks now where no supplements have been dosed. I have noticed very little to no change in color and vitality of my Corals to date. My decision to do this was to plan on going to a more natural system running a Calrx and refugium. Due to the size of the system i found it quite laboring and costly, constantly having to mix 2 part.
So I decided to remove my whole Dosing system and replace it with a Calcium reactor and large Refugium. For this i needed to make myself a new Sump, where thanks to Ernie @Reeflections Aquarium got this all made up for me within 5 days!!

So i spent all day last Thursday with the help of @Sarg removing and replacing the sump, so a massive thanks to you Andrew!

Friday was spent setting up the Reactor and been dialing it in over the past few days. I know his not on this forum but a huge thanks to Jason Angel for helping me with setting it up. He really knows his stuff and if anyone is fortunate enough to see his tank in person, you will know what i mean :).
Anyhow, I am now very interested to see what changes if any occur of the coming weeks.

Here's a couple of boring Pics of the calrx reactor running in the new sump.:rolleyes

IMG_20140131_201151.jpg

IMG_20140131_201203.jpg

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sorry to hear of your losses, but happy to hear you have found and addressed the issue. It is these "challenges" that make this (and any other hobby) fun.

As always, you set the standard in stock and equipment, keen to hear updates on how the new setup works :)
Sam

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks guys,

I am already seeing some improvement tonight since putting the calrx on there. There is definitely more pop on all corals.
Very interesting, only issue im having so far is keeping my Alk stable. Just increased the amount of effluent on the reactor and will retest tomorrow. My system really sucks the shit out of alk and calcium!

Jimsim

Nov 9, 2013
NEW SOUTH WALES
Very sorry to hear, Thumbs up big time, I got alittle teary at the story, I'm so proud seriously that you got back up and took a new leaf and continued to reef
its amazing how we can have our own little private systems to grow out and share to the community. No need for me to tell you to stay strong as we can all see
your very strong on your feet and under control already!

James

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
No wukkas always good to get over for a look :-)

Sucks the second tracky is gone :-( I'd never given a tracky a second look till I saw your two! They were truly outstanding.

Good to see the reactor is operational too!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Many of us hold your tank up as the pinnacle of what can be created and the success you achieved with Zeovit. Although it is sad I also really look forward to understand what you can achieve with an alternate regime. if anybody can stretch the boundary of what can be achieved with what I'll call a more conservative DT support system its VPREEF..

Good luck and I'll definitely be following along your progression and again trying to learn.....

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
not good to hear mate, I'm sure it still absolutely smashes most tanks in Aus even after the losses

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks guys,

Shit news but glad you identified and fixed the issue. Any pics of the fuge?
Not yet, will take one on the weekend. Just have a handful of Cheato in there atm. Might need another PAR38 Globe off you, got any in stock? Also, Do they come any brighter than the last one I grabbed off you?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks guys,

Not yet, will take one on the weekend. Just have a handful of Cheato in there atm. Might need another PAR38 Globe off you, got any in stock? Also, Do they come any brighter than the last one I grabbed off you?
I think you took a par30 (7 LEDs with red blue and white?). Anyway I have an order or par30s and par38s (12 LEDs) arriving soon (hopefully this week) so can figure out which works best for you.

Cheers