Reef Discussion

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
the smallest hydor koralia 900 should be small enough

i have one in my 80L tank i feel its flow is okay but not like crazy, so in a 20L it should be perfect

however if you're looking for more flow you could look at just upgrading the return pump?

are you looking for more flow or for randomised flow?

If it is for randomised flow you can look at a hydor flo 360 adapter (i sound like an ambassador lol)

would be nice to see the tank it is going on and get an idea on what can be done for you

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Thanks Leodb89.

Hydor Koralia 900 = 900L/h output?

The 20L will be hosting some of the easiest (beginner) corals like Zoas, Mushrooms, Hammers & Brain Corals + 1 Clown Fish.

Would you think 900L/h is way too strong for those corals above?

The tank itself has Bunnings Pool Pump (with suction cups) attached on the tank wall (200L/h) + return pump (unknown output flow).

I am thinking of getting another one of Bunnings Pool Pump, just to avoid any dead spots within the tank but had a suggestion, instead of using pump with jet output, I should be getting a wave maker.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
There wouldn't be too much difference in a wave maker and pump at that size because the wave makers don't have any smarts in then at that size (at least not yet)

Trust me I thought the same thing but really its not that powerful...people use them in the fluvial edge tanks also they're not really 900L/hr from my experience and wouldn't be a hurricane or anything like that

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I assume you mean pond pump, small pool at 200l/h!

At 20l with softies, I'd recommend upping the return pump with a larger pond pump that you can dial back to suit your needs. Then it just comes down to coral placement :)

Sam

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Yeahhh sorry i meant pond pump. Hahaha.

So you reckon there's no need for a wavemaker? Bunnings Pond Pump will do the job? The jet one.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah, bump up existing return pump, make a couple of outlets if you like. I doubt you'll find a wave maker small enough (that being said I did see some on a MACNA YouTube video a while ago.....

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
The return pump is just a built-in pump, like the picture below, so unfortunately there is no way for me to bump up the return pump.

so the only way for me to play with the flow rate is by putting another pond pump or a wavemaker (but as you mentioned, Sam, wavemaker will look too massive in 20L tank). i think i will be putting another jet pump (Medium size, with 30x flow rate), from bunnings. hope the size is smaller than a wavemaker.
aimgc.classistatic.com_cps_blnc_120919_241r1_3679df7_20.jpeg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hmmm cant find the manual online....id assume there would definitely be a way to remove the pump, if it would ever need replacing it would need to be removed?

i was at blacktown city pet, they had the hydor i was telling you about in a 24L tank and it didn't look too out of place, especially that you have the weir there...sitting along side it, it wouldnt look too bad...where in NSW are you? you could try see if mine sits in your tank good then make your mind up?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
i'm in south west area but that's cool.

so you have the same hydor as blacktown city pet one ?

do you know what the model of that? if i got time, i will try to visit that pet shop and see.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
1 more Q: what do you think of AquaClear HOB filter?

AC30 or AC50 for example?

Like it, Hate it or have never used it?