Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
NSW collection set up
I'm sick of lugging 25l containers back and forth so thought I would set up a couple of 200 l IBC's, some hose and a 12v boat bilge pump.....back the ute down the boat ramp and pump away

There's a rule 1100 gph pump or about 4,200 lph so if my calcs are right 6 minutes to fill.

Has anyone had any experience with this? ANy recommendations?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
That's a really good idea Sven and we have thought about it our selves. Not sure where to start but I'd make sure it's legal and be very careful where you pump from. If you were in Melbourne, you wouldn't pump it from Altona :)

Would love to see your ute with two ton of water on its back trying to get back up the boat ramp tho! :D

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
200 litres x 2 only 400kg +/- that's no more than the boat and trailor

I'm in Sydney and have been going to Little Manly...I like it because it's in a marine reserve, quiet and very close to the heads.

Hope to set up next week...will let everyone know how I go...unless someone tells me otherwise beforehand

BooY

Aug 10, 2011
Birkdale, Brisbane
another option is to use a petrol driven water pump (cheap ebay ones set u back $400-500 just make sure to flush them out after each use) and use a polycon on a trailer. The pumps will be able to pump u up the 1000l in under a min and since its a proper designed distance pumping tool, u can just run a hose from the polycon to the water and not even have to worry about going down the boat ramp, just park near it

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Sounds like a good idea - id just be careful of the water. With all the boats and ski's being launched there you might fins oil/petrol in the water - I have been trying to think of something similar but have about a 5 meter rise for the water to be pumped - i think im stuck carrying 20L containers up rock walls :(

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
What are the chances of getting within 20m of the shore line further down the coast? away from the boat ramps. Thats a very basic useable setup Magic linked to, I'm sure most could adapt it to suit thier situation.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Thanks guys, will let you know how it works

When I access the ramp it's when no boats are around....if there are i come backlater

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
The LFS told me that there is too much copper in the water around boat ramps....then he went on to say I should make up or buy his water....what do you think.

I know for a fact the copper based anti foul is now not meant to be used and trailer boats generally aren't anti-fouled.

Is there a copper test?

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
It wouldn't be copper that'd be a concern, it'd be more contamination from fuels/oils and dissolved nutrients I'd be concerned about.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Hi mate,
I do the same , But i use a 3700Gp/h bilge pump , It will all depend on where you get your water from , I used to get it from a very calm spot , the bilge pump was great for this , Altho im glad i had the larger size , Remember to take into account head height , which will vary from place to place and the height of your ute . ( or what ever your pumping into )
Now however im pumping from a boat ramp that looks straight out to bass straight , Oh how i wish i bought the petrol pump as mentions above,
Its not so much the time, As its a big bilge pump with only a 400 odd liter tank to fill , But the fact that it gets rough , And being a bilge pump i need the car close to the water, = Rust . I will have to do something before the trailer really starts to rust Or worse , The car

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I have extended things , The problem for me is , There can be big waves and the farther away from the water the longer it takes ( head height )
So if the trailer is well out of the water then a big wave comes , All of a sudden the trailer is getting wet , Any farther away isn't really an option with a bilge pump , But that's on a bad day < on a good day its a breeze , But its an hour trip each way , So too far to go and not come home with water :)
I only do it because it seems like clean water , Or it should be,
Only a very small holiday village , no rivers close by , Boat ramp seems only used on the weekend by a few boats On Bass straight ,
Well its gotta be better that the Tamar river Water :)
But not as easy .

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Im more trying to paint a picture for rosechaser , If the conditions may seem similar , Even sometimes , I would go the petrol , If its always going to be calm or at worst a bit of a swell , The Bilge should be fine , Keep in mind the height of your Ute tho .

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Thanks guys am thinking about slightly bigger bilge pump now.

Both the ramps I go to are only 20 minutes each way one is protected (Little Manly for those in Sydney) and in the harbour but near the heads and in a marine reserve....I never go when at all busy, and never after rain.

The other is at Long Reef which is a protected ocean beach (unless there's a NE wind or swell) and that is not used a lot so by being careful and between the two should be fine.

Is there a loss in electrical capacity over distance or just the head issue?

Other thing is with 3 x 200l tanks and average of 1% water changes means a trip every 4 months which means I can avoid summer holidays and not too hard to work in with weather and tides that way.