Tank Journal Archive

V

'vspec'

I still think its only an 8fter:confused: lol

and look, one of the beetles is checking out your sump!
Tons and tons of shots to go I would imagine.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
To see this tank in person was amazing!! By far the best tank I have seen in person...

I think you may have even helped pave the way for a bigger tank in the future ;)

Well bugger all has been done to the tank for a month or two. Slowly got nitrate problem under some sort of control but still battling that bloody phosphate. Only reason we haven't put Rowa in because of cost & amount we would need. It's nice to have a big tank, but there are running cost's to think about also. Trying to find a reactor at the right price, that would hold enough Rowa that we wouldn't have to change it near daily is not easy to. OH, hang on, got two of them today lol. Now just have to get the Rowa. Anyone interested in a group buy to get a decent amount in one hit??? If so post it up so I can join in hehehe.

I've been sitting here looking at the new twins, thinking I need to re address the skimmer end of the cabinet. It's nice having everything in the cabinet out of the way, but the skimmers are only running at half of what they could be. That is not helping the protein nitrate thingy, & that's always a problem. There is nowhere to put a RO tank so we dont have to pump 20Ltr's in at a time to keep up with evap. So I'm thinking the skimmer's need to come out & sit on a step to get them at least level to the sump. Same position as they are now, just outside the cabinet. File the floor of the cabinet in & drop a RO tank in there. Should have enough room to put 150- 200Ltr tank in there. That solves the big RO swings & keeps salinity a hell of a lot closer then what we are doing now. The new twins will sit behind the skimmers. LOL, that will be two sets of twins sitting outside the cabinet then. Skimmers will then be able to run flat out & do the job they are half doing now. The reactors will help no end with Rowa in one, carbon in the other. Should almost be under control then, it's almost like, "stop fart arsing around & do it proper like dickhead"

Here's a pic of the new twins picked up today....

Attachments

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Managed to get them i see :) As you were saying the joys of a FREAKIN MASSIVE tank lol

Did anyone manage to stitch a few pics together for a full tank shot?? Comon there must be more pics floating around!!

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
Have you thought of trying lanthalum chloride (Pool starver), mite be a cheaper option to get the PO4 down initially and then switch to rowaphos when the tanks PO4 levels drop to acceptable levels.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey Uglyman, :)

I did think about using that stuff. Even went as far as following a few threads & doing some research. Then I dont know what happened lol. I think I got crook & the world ended for me. Really have to get back on top of things.

On a brighter side of things, new Sicce pumps turned up at work today for the reactors, got a couple Sicce pumps for the skimmers at the same time. VERY under rated pumps I feel. Once I get everything together & ready to go, the plan is to pull everything out from under the cabinet & smash it all back together again. LOL, easy huh, how long can you run a 10ft tank without a sump? Hopefully most of a weekend?, will have to rig up a shitty looking skimmer setup straight out of the tank lol. By the end of the day all pumps will be replaced with Sicce pumps of varying degree's.
Tank has been wet for nearly a year now, so the pumps that come out will still be OK, just have to find another use or put them into storage in the garage. Should really have a garage sale! :(

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
Sounds like you have got a lot of work ahead of you hehe better you than me. I reckon the bigger the tank the more work it sounds and I try to avoid work even when I am at work lol. :p

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Yup that sound like a task and a half, if you need a hand shout out... I'm sure somebody will come and help lol

I can give you a hand if you need it granted golf would be harder than it already is one handed but hey it's yours if you want it :)

Seriously though if you do need help I don't think V's lady friend is here yet so he may be bored??

I can probably get over there if you need a hand ;)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks Sarg, when I know what I'm doing & when I'm thinking about doing it, I'll let you know :p

Picked up some more Sch80 plumbing on Friday. Had to order a few bits in so they should be here next week sometime. Had the thought of using clear Sch80 for the skimmers & reactors, bit of "wank" factor but it's cheaper then the grey stuff! Go figure.

Think I will run the plumbing close to the roof of the cabinet this time since they big bits will be outside. Should make it look a bit tidier I figure. So you will mainly only see the plumbing coming down for the returns & pumps. The bits heading across to the toys you will only see if your on your knees looking up lol. That's the plan anyways.

Got a few bits left over from the 8ft LED build, so planning to pull the T5 out from the cabinet & outfit with some neutral whites removed from the big light. This should be enough light to see what happening under there I hope. The 50mm channel should be easy enough to hide up in between the timbers of the tank floor.

Off to see what everyone else is doing now.........:)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks porkosta, it's taken a long time lol.

So pulled the skimmers out of the cabinet on Sunday. Knocked up a step to sit them on & started plumbing them back in through the cabinet walls. Now have enough room to put a RO tank in where the skimmers where that will hold at least 150Ltr's of RO. We go through give or take 100Ltr's a week in top ups. So this will help a great deal in the stability dept. Just got one more pump to skimmer line to hard plumb & get rid of the hose I used to get them up & running again. Run out of time tonight so guess that will be tomorrow nights job before dinner.
Had to pull the T5 light down to hang the plumbing so will be playing around with that soon also. Have to do some mods on the main light to get the LED's for the sump light if that makes sense lol. More then likely get the reactors plumbed in before the sump light tho.
That's about it for now, Does it ever stop? :rolleyes

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hello,

finally got all the hard plumbing done for the skimmer's & they are back to doing what they usually do. 99% of the hard plumbing has been run up under the cabinet for the reactors. Got one reactor up & running last nite, nothing in it as I just wanted to make sure there are no leaks & all works fine. Got 15Kg of Rowaphos on hand to drop into it, no, not all at once silly! :rolleyes Will try to get 2Kg in the reactor tonite all going well. Had to move all of the wiring under the cabinet, looks tidy again at the end of the run, but I really have to start again at the power board end lol, damn it's a mess at the moment. Will hopefully order the RO tank next week, just wanted all the hard plumbing done so I knew what space I had for the tank. Have to start looking for one of those Tunze Ozmo thingy's, Why do they call it an ozmo anyway?? it is after all just a auto top up unit aint it? or am I missing something? Sounds better as ozmo instead of ATO lol, we can put the price up a little more for an ozmo! Anyone seen them on special anywhere? Moved about 60Kg of LR out of the sump to new homes in the last week, condensed all the left over LR into 2 compartments of the sump now. The skimmer pump section only has the pumps in there now & opened up another section that only has the reactor pumps in it. The sump has 6 sections, from right to left it now goes DT in/live rock, skimmer pumps, skimmer return/live rock, reactor pumps, crabbie's house, reactor return / return to DT. Been running Bio-pellets in the small Octopus reactor, not sure if I'm goinf to keep this one going. Undecided on running carbon or pellets in the other big reactor, anyone care to chime in with which one I should run??
Well that's about it for this week, cant think of anything else. :)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Pellets are going to get your nitrates down and the rowaphos will do the phosphates.

I would run both the pellets and Rowaphos until they come down to a preferred level then remove the pellets and keep the rowaphos going.

Monitor it from there and see how you go. Just be carefull with the bio pellets because they can strip too much from your system.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Guppies has grey import Tunze gear now otherwise heaps of OLS are pretty competitive now for Tunze gear - price has really dropped recently.

You won't be sorry - just make sure you have a big tank to pump the RO from. I currently have a 20L drum and lose about 15L/day - I really need to do soemthing about that...

Good luck - oh and time for updates (with Pics) - I hate reading.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey look it's day light out side & I'm sitting in front of the PC:)

I hate working Saturday mornings, just thought I'd mention that & get the facts out of the way before I start prattling on about stuff. First bitch of the day? Firefox wont load the reply box & I cant see the chat on the front page. Working OK in Opera tho. Another thing out of the way!

Kinda haven't been putting pics up as its usually late & still to much to do lol. Will throw some up now & hopefully catch up to the dribble from the last few posts.

So where did we get up to? skimmer plumbing? Oh yeah, found a place that has converting couplings that go from the Octopus grey PVC-U merican size to standard Ozzie size pipe. That makes it easier to keep some spare stuff about the place. Brought near everything they had in the metric size for future tho, just in case. Only took a couple of pics, so unlike me lol.
IMAG0835.jpg

IMAG0834.jpg

Do you know how hard it is trying to get a pic looking up under the tank! :mad:
Cleaned out the sump of live rock also. Kinda had to so we could get the pumps in for the reactor's.
IMAG0855.jpg

So from right to left, DT into sump with I think about 20-30Kg of rubble. Then skimmer pumps 2x 5000Ltr units that haven't missed a beat in the year that they have been running, nothing else in here. Skimmer returns are in the next chamber, this is also the spare live rock holding area lol. Helps stop a bit of the splashing. Next chamber is where the reactor pumps are, 2x 4800Ltr units. Then there is the Melton Crab Hotel section. Cant say he's a little bugger either, how big do these blue swimmer crabs get again?? bastard has grown since he made himself at home. Have to watch your fingers when feeding him to! :rolleyes especially when you decide to tease him lol. Last chamber has the return pump in there. 8900Ltr jobbie. Got this with the tank so no idea how old it is. It's on the list to be replaced, has been for about a year, picked up a 1400Ltr pump to replace this one, but not sure if once again I got carried away & it will be to big.
Dropped 2Kg of Rowaphos in one of the reactors about two weeks ago. This stuff is the shit aint it! If there was a magic bullet then it would have to be this stuff. Within days the algae on the rear wall was getting lighter. Now you can hardly see it was there.
Why is it I can made something half decent with metal, but screw it all up when it comes to working with timer???
IMAG0853.jpg

15Kg worth of magic ammunition.
IMAG0849.jpg

Reactor running with 2Kg Rowaphos.
IMAG0906.jpg

Reckon there is room for about another 13Kg. Once a year media change! I like that idea, now just have to work out something along the same lines for a once a year water change :eek

Picked up a Avast Marine Davey Jones Skimmate Locker. Has one of those flash relay things hooked up to a pressure switch that turns off the skimmer pumps so nothing over flows & stinks out the house! The smell of skimmate is worse then my bloody feet after being locked up in leather work boots in the middle of summer all day!

IMAG0852.jpg

About the only thing left to show n tell is the hole left over for the RO tank.
IMAG0908.jpg

Should be able to get a decent size tank in there. Anyone selling 2ft tank?? :)

Well I'm off to get water for the change, so if you two will excuse me, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out :p

Might put some more pics up later on this afternoon if I get time.

Hooroo.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Should be able to get a decent size tank in there. Anyone selling 2ft tank?? :)
Well now that you mention it - my old nano tank doesn't have any future plans given that it's spot in that cabinet is waiting for me to get around to ordering a new custom tank :P

Nice pics btw, Looking forward to seeing how that skimmate locker works (skimmer went nuts, had wet floor this morning lol).

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Great upgrade shots, thats a LOT of work to do but of course will pay off in the end! Lol I still think a 10% water change in my 400L is a big job :).

Tx for all the upgrade info!

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Morning,
Have I ever mentioned I hate working Saturday morning's? It's cold, It's wet & the temp gauge on the building across the road has just hit 10! Welcome to sunny Ballarat :confused:

You ever look back at the start of your TJ, get to the end & think, shit, it has come a long way! :)

Just a reminder for me as what to update sometime over the weekend lol........

Reactors
RO tank
Plumbing
Frag rack
Cutters
ATO
IBC
& something else I can't think of....

Better go do some work now lol.