Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Each fish in each tank will be different. A day of lights out may help calm and tank aggression.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I always introduce new fish when the lights are out so they're not getting dumped into a shit storm of hate. This is especially true of larger fish like tangs, angels and butterflies. Those 3 are bastards towards a newcomer to a system.

Yes I second the lights out method. Also, key to successful introduction of a new fish is salinity, make sure you always put the new fish into the same or lower salinity. Higher salinity will stress the fish badly and the added bullying will most likely seal its fate.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
The tang came from 1.025 and my tank is 1.025 (from refactometer), the clowns and wrasse I have dont bother the tang at all. They all got their own sleeping spots. I'll give him a few more days to chill.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
So pissed off, went out today with the mrs and came home to find the yellow tang laying on his side, fills going crazy, I picked him off sand with my hand to check wtf went wrong, no bruising, no nipped fins and before I could link d finish testing water for ammonia, nitrite nitrate, ph, kh he had passed.

Tomorrow I'm taking him and water back to aquarium but so upset as he was such a beautiful fish.

Oh and
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20
Kh 7.5 (struggling to get it higher)
Ph 7.8-8
Temp 25.6
Salt 1 025

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Hope you took him back.

I had a Yellow Tang die on me when in quarantine some months back. It appeared to be going fine (eating well) then I found it stone cold dead.

I wonder where the shops are getting small Yellow Tangs from if they can't collect them from the wild? Have they found a new source? I wondered if they might be using cyanide to collect them? I recently read an article on the percentage of fish imported into America that show traces of cyanide: So don't think it doesn't happen....

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Btw, I recently bought a Yellow Tang from a fellow aquarist. I say it is the best way to buy fish cause you know they have been acclimatised.

Also, I am selling my Purple Tang. It is a chunky little beast. About 12 cm. Thick as your Italian sausage.

One has to go, either the Purple or the Yellow.

Ps, you can't put my Purple Tang with another Tang. You might with other Tangs, but not with this one.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Hope you took him back.

I had a Yellow Tang die on me when in quarantine some months back. It appeared to be going fine (eating well) then I found it stone cold dead.

I wonder where the shops are getting small Yellow Tangs from if they can't collect them from the wild? Have they found a new source? I wondered if they might be using cyanide to collect them? I recently read an article on the percentage of fish imported into America that show traces of cyanide: So don't think it doesn't happen....
Yer I took him back and the shop checked my water using their $500 digital water test kit, water came up all good.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30(now lowering it at 10)
Ph 8.1
Alk 8
Mag 1350
Cal 390
Phosphate .02

so they replaced the yellow tang. The new one is CRAZY he will come up to glass when I'm close and eyes me off.
He loves his food (mysis, pellets, nori).

The tang and wrasse sleep right next to each other and and all fish are happy.

Attachments

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Btw, I recently bought a Yellow Tang from a fellow aquarist. I say it is the best way to buy fish cause you know they have been acclimatised.

Also, I am selling my Purple Tang. It is a chunky little beast. About 12 cm. Thick as your Italian sausage.

One has to go, either the Purple or the Yellow.

Ps, you can't put my Purple Tang with another Tang. You might with other Tangs, but not with this one.
Hope you took him back.

I talked to my local aquarium were I buy my fish, I admit he is more expensive then others but he buys as many Australian grown fish as possible, he hates imported fish.

He was saying when he buys fish the Australian fish he has a 10% loss, but the imported is between 30-50% and that's before he sells them.

I trust him unlike other aquariums as I know he is a sponge of knowledge and always happy to chat, from what I know he is in the top 5 aquariums in Melbourne

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Hope you took him back.

They're getting them from outside the state limit which is 3 miles which has pissed off that dickhead Snorkel Bob. Their little ban did very little to stop the collection from Hawaii. That report you read was disproven by several sources including CORAL magazine. They are very close to an instant test for cyanide though which will be nice because we'll have ammo to use against bad suppliers. Now you have to wait for the fish to die, take the liver out and test that.

I've never seen anything from Hawaii caught with cyanide, Indonesia and The Philippines are where that is still used. Some things to avoid out of those countries are Firefish and Royal tangs, you have an 80% chance of getting ones that were juiced with cyanide. I can look at them now and say with certainty which ones were caught with cyanide. It's a damn shame. Some things to look for are reddened gill plates and very vivid colours, they're about to check out.

Safe places to get fish include Australia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, RVS as your Philippines supplier, Africa, Vanuatu, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and most places in the Caribbean. Indo is so bad that I won't bring in fish from there. I do have one supplier I use in Lombok for select Indo fish and inverts, shrimp gobies and their shrimp.

Last edited:

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
My frist yellow tang died within an hour of getting him home, but my second one I have had for near 4 years now,( touch wood), love them, I have had luck using a mirror when adding a new fish

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
My frist yellow tang died within an hour of getting him home, but my second one I have had for near 4 years now,( touch wood), love them, I have had luck using a mirror when adding a new fish
I'm not a fan of Yellow tangs, they seem to be rife with parasites. They're one that I hit immediately with praziquantel.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I have to admit my first tang was a dud, from day dot didn't eat, hid constant and then died. The new one is an absolute pig at eating and when I throw pellets, mysis or nori in he will swim though any fish in his was to get the food, always out swimming and if I pay my arm in tank to remove hair algae he trys to intimidate me, the tang and wrasse are best mates and always swimming together and sleep right next to each other.