Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Yellow Tang
Hi everyone,

Hope you had a great break during the Easter public holidays.

I recently wrote in a thread that I lost my Yellow Tang, which I had had for over four years. That it, 16 years short of what I had hoped to have it for. It reached 11cm long and stayed at that length, was great with all its tankmates and was very healthy and damn colourful.

Anyway, the weekend before last I bought a 6.6cm Yellow Tang and brought it home and placed it in a quarantine tank with an Orange Striped Cardinal, some live rock and a few small corals, a powerhead, heater and light. The tank had been set up for a few weeks and had algae growing in there for it to eat. It ate straight away - frozen brine shrimp, NLS tiny pellets and dried seaweed. It looked fine and I was almost ready to add it to my display tank.

So, Sunday night I get home, the aquarium light has gone out as usual and the Yellow Tank is in the corner of the tank, in a low current spot. It looked fine, asleep. It had it's night colouration. So, I left it and stayed up for a couple hours. During that time I checked on it and thought, damn that fish is a deep sleeper. It was upright and well balanced.

Next morning it is still in the same position! So I poked it and it was stoned dead! But, it still looked almost perfect (dorsal fin had lost some colour at edges). There were no marks whatsoever on the Yellow Tang.

Now, I think the water conditions were very good cause I had only recently changed the water. The corals looked fine. The cardinal is fine, though they are bullet proof.

The Yellow Tang was quite fat. Did it over eat??? Can they die eating dried seaweed?

I then started to think, with the ban on collecting new Yellow Tangs and the fact that my Tang was only 6.6cm, does this indicate they might be collecting the Yellow Tangs from outside Hawaii and possibly be using cyanide?

What are the signs of cyanide poisoning?

I am not going to name the shop I bought it from, but I did ask whether they sourced their fish from the same supplier as they did some four years ago when I bought my original Yellow Tang and the person sought of hesitated before they said yes.

I am worried about the stock of Yellow Tangs out there at the moment, especially the smaller ones. So I am hesitant to try another.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I find it very unlikely an YT would die because of over feeding.

Provided this is the second fish in a short timeframe and it died without marks, that rules out parasites, infections or aggression. Hence, I would start chasing poisoning or lack of oxygen.

Is there any change the tank had a blackout while you weren't seeing?
Do you dose any medication in the QT tank? If so, what are the current levels? Cooper at slightly high levels can be very toxic....

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
The YT was in a two-foot tank with 50 litres of water, a power head and a heater. It was at about 24 degrees.

I hadn't added any medication or chemicals as the fish appeared quite healthy. It didn't have good colouration, but I assumed they were pale at this size and I hoped it would develop colour as it great.

I think the tank had plant of oxygen as I set my powerhead low and direct them at the surface so water surface is very agitated.

Also, although I mentioned the Orange Striped Cardinals are bulletproof, I have found that these cardinals can suffer during transportation, possibly either due to low oxygen or stress, but this one was and still is fine.

I can't say about blackout, but nothing looked affected aside from the YT.

I did a little research last night and read about the recent concern in America with the number of imported fish apparently caught with the use of cyanide.

At the time I bought the YT I had thought to myself, you should look around at the quality in the other shops before you buy, but I trusted this shop. But, I should stress here that I do not know what the YT died of and so I am speculating that it was poisoning. As even when dead, after being in the tank overnight, it was still almost perfect. Even it's eyes still looked perfect. It didn't look dead! But, it was dead!

jart

Apr 10, 2015
So sorry to hear about the loss of your new YT and also the previous one.