Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Yellow Tang
Hi my tang has red marks on him can anyone help please, looks like red bruising just in front of his white knives on both sides

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Appears your yellow tank has been up to a bit of tail slapping or maybe has found a confined place to sleep where it is touching live rock?

Mine gets red marks from time to time, rarely in the past two years or so, but they do go away.

Any new fish, especially tangs that your Yellow Tang has had to deal with? Maybe it has been sleeping in a spot it doesn't normally sleep? Has it's behaviour changed due to new fish?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Appears your yellow tank has been up to a bit of tail slapping or maybe has found a confined place to sleep where it is touching live rock?

Mine gets red marks from time to time, rarely in the past two years or so, but they do go away.

Any new fish, especially tangs that your Yellow Tang has had to deal with? Maybe it has been sleeping in a spot it doesn't normally sleep? Has it's behaviour changed due to new fish?
Thanks, no new fish, I have 3 yellow tangs, all have been in the tank for more than 6 months

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I wouldn't do anything in regards to carbon: If you are thinking it may be due to water conditions, the carbon won't make it worse.

I have heard of water conditions causing redness, but yours sounds like either aggression or damage through contact with live rock.

When I have moved live rock around, my fish have ended up with damage as a result of impact with the rock. I think your Yellow Tang has this either through fighting (establishing territory) or just through trying out new small spaces in live rock to hide/sleep.

Maybe as your Yellow Tangs grow you may need to provide further sleeping spots for them.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I wouldn't do anything in regards to carbon: If you are thinking it may be due to water conditions, the carbon won't make it worse.

I have heard of water conditions causing redness, but yours sounds like either aggression or damage through contact with live rock.

When I have moved live rock around, my fish have ended up with damage as a result of impact with the rock. I think your Yellow Tang has this either through fighting (establishing territory) or just through trying out new small spaces in live rock to hide/sleep.

Maybe as your Yellow Tangs grow you may need to provide further sleeping spots for them.
I think it was fighting because he is a lot better today

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
A photo would help to diagnose the problem.

When my tangs get red marks it is either from lack of algae in their diet or fighting.
Good info: I'll keep this in mind if mine get the red marks. If it is due to lack of algae do they get the marks in any particular spots on their body?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Good info: I'll keep this in mind if mine get the red marks. If it is due to lack of algae do they get the marks in any particular spots on their body?
You can see some examples of red marks due to bacterial infection here:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...u7rYAhXGVbwKHTU6D6gQ_AUICigB&biw=1561&bih=856

It usually starts appearing as "red veins" and turns into blotches quickly, in multiple places. Nothing like Susan's photo.

Provided it is due to Bacterial Infection, it could be caused by many things like poor water quality, poor diet or stress.
In my case, the lack of algae has always been the cause and happens pretty much every year, when I take holidays and leave the tank on an auto-feeder with dry food only, for over 3 weeks.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I leave the tank's back glass and half of each side glass to grow algae on so my yellow tang and coral beauty can eat it. Although it is not everyone's cup of tea to do this, you could do it a month or two before you go away and you'll probably find your yellow tang will get all the algae it needs. I have to admit though, it is my coral beauty that I see regularly grazing the glass and not my yellow tang so much.

I hadn't been feeding my fish nori much recently, but as the algae on the glass is pretty thin at the moment (scalloped from the fish eating it), I have started feeding Nori again regularly. Only did so cause sometimes my Yellow Tangs stomach looked compressed even though it gets heaps of NLS pellets and weekly frozen brine shrimp.

Good to hear you tang is better Susan!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Definitely feed them nori or some sort of seaweed. There's just not enough algae in a reef tank to support 3 tangs unless it's 8' long. I do the same thing as Savage Henry does, leave the back glass for them to pick at.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Definitely feed them nori or some sort of seaweed. There's just not enough algae in a reef tank to support 3 tangs unless it's 8' long. I do the same thing as Savage Henry does, leave the back glass for them to pick at.
Yeah I feed nori every day, he is all better now, must have been fighting

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Tangs are like gang members, blood in and blood out, they're bastards to one another. I can pack 24 Purples in a 6' holding tank, and they're good if I put them in together. If I add another fish with the same body shape like an angel, the shit hits the fan and they go nuts trying to kill the new fish.