Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Yellow Tang
Hi one of my tang is losing weight and has one cloudy eye, what can i do for him please?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Run tests
Check all parameters are within range
Feed lots of veggie based foods
And keep tank stress free
Watch & make sure he's not being bullied and is allowed to eat

I had 6 fish come out the ibc with Popeye - caused my poor water parameters over extended time and within 10 days of following the above
They all cleared
And are healthy again
Good luck

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Run tests
Check all parameters are within range
Feed lots of veggie based foods
And keep tank stress free
Watch & make sure he's not being bullied and is allowed to eat

I had 6 fish come out the ibc with Popeye - caused my poor water parameters over extended time and within 10 days of following the above
They all cleared
And are healthy again
Good luck
Thanks, all parameters are good, i have been feeding helps, no one is bothering him, hope he will be ok, thanks again

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
How long have you had him for?

For any other family of fish I would have said catch him (if you can) and put him in a quarantine tank, but some say Tangs suffer more by being kept in a quarantine tank then by being kept with their friends.

I'd feed him heaps of frozen or live brine shrimp and the Nori sheets.

I agree with the above about the cloudy eye - he might have banged into a coral, but if your water conditions are good, the eye will mend itself. My Coral Beauty actually had a horrible looking swollen cloudy eye a couple weeks ago, but it healed completely by itself over about five days.

If he gets really thin, I WOULD catch him and put him in a quarantine tank, cause you'd probably have nothing to lose at that stage.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
How long have you had him for?

For any other family of fish I would have said catch him (if you can) and put him in a quarantine tank, but some say Tangs suffer more by being kept in a quarantine tank then by being kept with their friends.

I'd feed him heaps of frozen or live brine shrimp and the Nori sheets.

I agree with the above about the cloudy eye - he might have banged into a coral, but if your water conditions are good, the eye will mend itself. My Coral Beauty actually had a horrible looking swollen cloudy eye a couple weeks ago, but it healed completely by itself over about five days.

If he gets really thin, I WOULD catch him and put him in a quarantine tank, cause you'd probably have nothing to lose at that stage.
Thanks, he is hanging in there at the moment,he is a little fighter,he is thin but he is eating,I have been feeding extra and giving lots of nori, I will be fighting nitrates soon