Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Yellow Tang
Now my big yellow tang has a small red spot on his forehead between his eyes, don't know if high ammonia a few weeks ago has done anything to him, what do you think?

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
Hi Susan, hard to tell much from that pic (I'm sure fish make it hard to get a pic) but from what I can see, that looks like a physical injury to me. As Slin said it will probably come good if your tank is stable and the fish not stressed.

I don't keep tangs so somebody with better knowledge of these fish may correct me but as long as its active and eating, I would just keep an eye on it for now.

Welcome to the crazy world of marine aquaria :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
How much activated charcoal are you running? With tangs they are prone to hole in the head possibly caused by over use of GAC.
Safe dosage for non aggressive type such as zeovit GAC is about 1 liter for 250 gallons water

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
How much activated charcoal are you running? With tangs they are prone to hole in the head possibly caused by over use of GAC.
Safe dosage for non aggressive type such as zeovit GAC is about 1 liter for 250 gallons water
I ran a little for a few days, thats all

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
but will that give the tang a hole in his head and if so will it heal?
What you got to remember is there are high quality GAC products out there that are not aggressive in the way they extract toxins from the water. Some are look like pellets , some look like powders , some made from bamboo others made from coconut and so on.
I use Korallenzucht brand as it's non aggressive , if I used a more powerful type I could expect RTN or STN on my acros.

I would find it very unlikely that a brand such as zeovit would cause problems since it is recommended in the basic filtration method and used in conjunction with the rest of the basic filtration products.

For now...... I believe your tang has a bruise that's going to go away , not caused by previous water quality issues.
I honestly don't think it has hole in the head either that would be unlucky.

Futhermore here is the zeovit basic guide for some light reading.
https://www.korallen-zucht.de/cms/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
It probably just got startled and went bang into your live rock. As the others have said, it will heal. Just keep an eye out for secondary infections etc.

On the other hand, my female clown has a lump under it's chin. When the clown is really stressed out the lump can get reddish and it takes a long time for it to go away.

I hope your yellow tang doesn't have something like this.

An aside, it occurred to me the other day when I was looking through an aquarium book that had close up photos of corals and fish in a natural reef environment, just how many little deformities and abnormalities etc that natural reef inhabitants have. For example there were some sps that had patches of dead bits here and there. Just made me feel more grateful for the fact that most of my fish are near perfect. Well actually, on closer inspection they aren't. In fact they are far from perfect! My female clown has a recurring lump on it's chin and my bloody coral beauty hasn't had a tail for about three years (imagine explaining that to visitors).

My yellow tang is rare perfection.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
It probably just got startled and went bang into your live rock. As the others have said, it will heal. Just keep an eye out for secondary infections etc.

On the other hand, my female clown has a lump under it's chin. When the clown is really stressed out the lump can get reddish and it takes a long time for it to go away.

I hope your yellow tang doesn't have something like this.

An aside, it occurred to me the other day when I was looking through an aquarium book that had close up photos of corals and fish in a natural reef environment, just how many little deformities and abnormalities etc that natural reef inhabitants have. For example there were some sps that had patches of dead bits here and there. Just made me feel more grateful for the fact that most of my fish are near perfect. Well actually, on closer inspection they aren't. In fact they are far from perfect! My female clown has a recurring lump on it's chin and my bloody coral beauty hasn't had a tail for about three years (imagine explaining that to visitors).

My yellow tang is rare perfection.
thank you for your help

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If worse comes to worse, you can use a topical on it like Mercurochrome. I don't know if that's even still available, the bottle I have is probably 30 odd years old and I still use it if there's a large open wound.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
When a wound is red on a fish, it signals inflammation. I do worry when I see this as it can be a sign that infection is setting in.

Best remedy for it though at that stage is a good water change and a high quality diet which you are already doing.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Yellow Tang is looking a little better today,thanks everyone, but I am still confused about how and and how long tot use carbon

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It's not a question of using or not using carbon, it's a question of quality carbon Susan. If you use a quality absorbent like Chemipure you're good.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
It's not a question of using or not using carbon, it's a question of quality carbon Susan. If you use a quality absorbent like Chemipure you're good.
thanks Rob, do I use it in the tank all the time, because I have some brightwell carbonit-x3 and it said to put it in for 24 hours