Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Yellow Tang Tank Size
Hi guys,

I've been having a discussion on another forum with Chromus regarding the minimum tank size for my Yellow Tang.

I'd like to get your ideas of minimum tank size too.

As I wrote on the other forum, my yellow tang is about 11cm (10.2cm since last measured) and hasn't grown much during the past 11 months or so. I was planning to start a new tank, a CADE HL900, but there's a chance might work in regional NSW and so I have advertised the CADE for sale. I am currently running a 100cm tank and could potentially keep that going in Sydney while I work away. In fact, I've only just returned from working in a country town where I'd taken my clowns with me in an 80cm tank and left my tang with my Mother to look after.

For the longer term, if my yellow tang can't be kept in a CADE HL900, I might as well sell the CADE and keep the yellow tang in the 100cm tank until it is too big for it. It would probably be best for me to have a tank that I can relocate easier, i.e. move by myself, maybe an 80x50x50x10mm or something smaller.

So, I would be grateful if you would please give your opinions on the chances of keeping my yellow tang in a three footer. It appears that it might be more of a behavioural problem that the tang might develop and not necessarily a size problem at this stage.

Cheers,
Glenn

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
In Dr Burgess book his recommendation is 150l however i believe thats swimming space.. so i would say minimum 300l

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have had my Yellow Tang for just over 4 years - it hasn't grown a huge amount but would probably be slightly larger than yours. I love YT's and have had one for almost all of my reef keeping life - they are one of my favourite fish.

But, I am almost at the stage where I think my tank is getting a bit on the small side - I have a 4x2x2.

I have no aggressive fish in my tank, and nothing is getting stressed. It's just that I look at it sometimes and think that it needs a larger tank.

But, at the end of the day, this is a personal decision. I wouldn't keep a dog in a small suburban backyard, but many people do ...

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
For what it's worth I'd say a 4x2x2 would be minimum for a med/large YT. I know mine cruises the full 8' I have. They like to move.

As @MagicJ says, it's really a personal choice. You are the one that needs to feel comfortable.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Thanks guys,

I have looked on the internet to see what the symptoms are of a bored and/or disgruntled tang and mine hasn't got those yet. It is the most peaceful fish in my tank and it does not paced back and forth along the glass at all. I have become concerned recently that the smaller fish (coral beauty, clowns and lavender tang) out compete with it for food.

However, that is how it is now and I am trying to plan for the future here. I am at fork in the road career-wise and could move City, which is another reason why I want to downgrade tank size.

I don't want to set up the CADE in Sydney (and have my Mother look after it if I move) only to find I have to remove the yellow tang, which is the only reason I have not downgraded to a smaller tank already.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Yep, it's not about the size of the fish,. It's more that they need to roam. 4x2x2 is usually considered minimum for tangs. Having said that, I don't keep tangs myself - ich magnets, especially the blues & purples.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep, it's not about the size of the fish,. It's more that they need to roam. 4x2x2 is usually considered minimum for tangs. Having said that, I don't keep tangs myself - ich magnets, especially the blues & purples.
With proper quarantine procedures you don't need to worry about them being prone to Ich.