Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Yellow Coral/clown Goby
I've been eyeing on this fish for my next addition to my tank; I think this will be my last fish (so I said it last time with Sunburst :p).

So, his/her friends would be: 1x Kole, 1x Sunburst & 2x Clowns (Percula i think).

My question is those Okinawae that are sold in Australia market, are they wild caught or captive-bred?

I won't name which LFS but his Okinawae doesn't look as bright as the other LFS nearby.

So, am thinking: is it food? is it lighting? is it because it's captive?

Considering these type of fish won't break my bank account, I don’t mind paying slightly $$$, if indeed wild caught does give that yellow shine a bit of boost BUT THEN, is there really such thing as wild caught in Aussie market for Okinawae?

aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_7eb3c54655bf7693cb854935a637ecae._.jpg

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Can't comment on wild caught or not, but my two weren't always super bright.

If the lights had been off, they were a very pale yellow (super bright once lights came on).

I noticed their diet and level of harassment from tank mates contributed to colour at times, but on the whole, usually nice and bright with the pale cheek spots :)

Ed: I got mine from Sam & Sunny @ Eastwood Aquariums (love that place!).

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
They are so common in shops you have an excuse to spend a whole day on the road visiting all the shops close by, annoying the LFS, and eventually choosing the best fish. That is my kind of Sunday.

Btw, a kept a coral goby with a lion fish for a very short period of time. Not recommended.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
had mine for 4/5 months now..

always bright yellow with little white pale cheeks.

always swims around between corals, set up his home mostly in the mushroom leather coral.

good fish.

I also have a purple coral goby who is larger, he has neon markings down the side of his face, also cheap but good fish.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have had my guy for around 3 years now and he is going great. Like the others said, they become almost white at times. My one doesn't take shit from any fish and regularly dive bombs my Foxface and Moorish Idol when they go near his Acro.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I have had my guy for around 3 years now and he is going great. Like the others said, they become almost white at times. My one doesn't take shit from any fish and regularly dive bombs my Foxface and Moorish Idol when they go near his Acro.
I thought they are the MOST peaceful fish on earth ...

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
99.8% pretty sure they are coral friendly.
They will cause tissue recession on Acro's (at the base) if/when they mate as the eggs are laid at the base where the tissue is usually.

Mine very occasionaly nipped at my acans. All other lps was fine ime.

They are def not peaceful (not sure if you were being sarc though), mine would always have a go at anything that moves in its 'area'. But otherwise a happy, active and entertaining fish ")

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
99.8% pretty sure they are coral friendly.
Native to the reefs of the Indo-Pacific, Gobiodon okinawae usually congregates among soft and hard coral colonies. Since the Yellow Clown Goby is peaceful, it makes a wonderful addition to any reef aquarium containing colonies of polyp corals. Here, this member of the Gobiidae family will swim and perch amongst the polyps. Care needs to be taken, however, with SPS corals since the Yellow Clown Goby may nip at the smaller polyps

They are a lovely fish, but can damage SPS.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
They are wild caught, none are captive bred. Get a pair if you can, however have the LFS bag them separately. Pale colouration can be a sign of stress and is common in a lot of fish during the collection/sale/transport stage.

Even if they do chase off other fish they don't cause stress or any damage to their tank mates so I wouldn't worry about that.

You may need to put a lot of work into getting them eating well initially as they can starve while adapting to captivity.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Thanks heaps peeps! Because all of you, I have made my decision not to purchase and cause additional headache.

This is great because this is what active forum is all about. We exchange ideas and every day you/I learn new stuff or take note on something that you may know but forget.

As some of you may know, I am planning to revive my acro and going towards SPS, so purchasing an Okinawae may not be a bright idea.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
This is great because this is what active forum is all about. We exchange ideas and every day you/I learn new stuff or take note on something that you may know but forget.
You are so right. And now i am considering this as my next fish. I want a small fish that will stick up for itself and don't really have any difficult coral to protect.