Reef Discussion

E

ezza

Wtf Is This?!
i was looking in the tank and spotted a strange looking mass I've seen recently in another spot. I assumed it to be sponge or something and now I know it is not.

I guess it's a Nudibranch, I haven't been able to confirm that though. It is greyish or beige in colour with deer antler like antennae at one end which as I removed it from the tank, appeared to be grey and black. It seemed to have several antennae like protuberances. It's quite solid and not slimy on the skin. I found myself thinking it was a bit like a sea cucumber actually. It's quite bumpy that way.

image.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I usually get the purple and red little cucumbers as Hitchhiker's. They are cool looking little critters.

E

ezza

I have a burnt sausage cuke in the tank. I guess the only possible way it got there is as a hitchhiker as Mr Sausage looks entirely different and we've had him for a while. It's peculiar! It must have come on one of the corals bought from Asquith over the last few months. I haven't bought many. It's interesting too, I always dip my corals in fresh RO. He's done well to make it this far.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hard to know what this particular one eats, but its a filter feeder - the way it eats is completely different to your burnt sausage cuke - treat it like a fan worm, feather star or non-photosynthetic coral. Best bet is to give the sand bed a little stir to feed it and hope something that gets stirred up is either the right particle size or the right food item

E

ezza

@Agent M yes it did bring the tentacles to its mouth. I have videos but I don't have the patience to upload to youtube before posting here. He is a happy little fellow constantly feeding from all appearances.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I used to have a good few of these little guys in my tank, they did well for ages then seemed to disappear, so maybe not getting enough column food?