Reef Discussion

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Worst Nightmare
I received a phone call from my mum this morning as I'm in Melbourne with the missus for the weekend, she's looking after the tank.

Basically after many phones calls and photos it's apparent the damn tank is leaking.. Overnight it drained the sump dry and some of the DT.
I'm in complete shock as the quality control out of ELOS is meant to be the best. I'm not gonna blame anything though until I can get home and check it all out. But from the photos and the fact nothing has overflowed it's clear it's coming from a silicone seam.

It couldn't have happened at a worse time really as I'm not even there!
Mums done a great job though cleaning all the water up, following my instructions and helping to problem solve.
The problem is though she hasn't been able to stop the leak so its constantly leaking and draining the tank. I'm mostly worried about the stand going to shit so hopefully that holds up until I get home.
We've changed our flight from tomorrow night to tonight so I'll try and transfer everything over into a container and start the process of seeing and fixing what went wrong.
Lucky it's only a small tank!

The tank is about 4 years old now so I doubt there will be anything I can claim.
Really put a downer on..

Couple questions for people though is when I'm ready to fix it what silicone would I use and where would I find it?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Crap! Sorry to hear! If you were in NSW id offer to loan you my spare tank...

Bostic Rhodorsil V2, or if your in a pinch, Selleys Glass silicone at most hardware stores.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Awesome thanks for that guys.
I'll have a search for them tomorrow.
It's getting a bit more stressful now. I'm still a couple hours from flying back and mums worried the water is getting to low in the tank, I have saltwater made up but I'll need all that for when I transfer everything over to the tub. Fingers crossed i make it in time!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Shit man, that's horrible. Not sure if there is anything I can do from here to help - but if there is please let me know. Will do whatever I can :(

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I received a phone call from my mum this morning as I'm in Melbourne with the missus for the weekend, she's looking after the tank.

Basically after many phones calls and photos it's apparent the damn tank is leaking.. Overnight it drained the sump dry and some of the DT.
I'm in complete shock as the quality control out of ELOS is meant to be the best. I'm not gonna blame anything though until I can get home and check it all out. But from the photos and the fact nothing has overflowed it's clear it's coming from a silicone seam.

It couldn't have happened at a worse time really as I'm not even there!
Mums done a great job though cleaning all the water up, following my instructions and helping to problem solve.
The problem is though she hasn't been able to stop the leak so its constantly leaking and draining the tank. I'm mostly worried about the stand going to shit so hopefully that holds up until I get home.
We've changed our flight from tomorrow night to tonight so I'll try and transfer everything over into a container and start the process of seeing and fixing what went wrong.
Lucky it's only a small tank!

The tank is about 4 years old now so I doubt there will be anything I can claim.
Really put a downer on..

Couple questions for people though is when I'm ready to fix it what silicone would I use and where would I find it?

View attachment 54528 View attachment 54529 View attachment 54530
That is a night mare hope everything is ok

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Shit man, that's horrible. Not sure if there is anything I can do from here to help - but if there is please let me know. Will do whatever I can :(
Thanks mate appreciate it.

It looks like it might be a long night - good luck.
Thanks, yup sure was, finished up about 3am!

That is a night mare hope everything is ok
It sure was, last thing I thought could happen, especially while I was away.

Having mopped up, @Mattres is now sitting back with a cold one enjoying a safe and happy tank!

*i hope* :)
Haha hopefully that's the plan this afternoon!

So finished up last night about 3am.
Luckiliy everything is safe and sound, have got everything transfered over to a 50L container.
In in the process now of cleaning all the sand out of the tank and getting a good look at the silicone, I had a quick view of it and there's a few spots where there are gaps. I'll take some photos and see if anyone can think might have happened.
The stand took some water damage. I'll put some photos of that up to and get people's opinoins to see of its safe, I think it will be hopefully.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Okay so tell me what you think guys, I'm a little unsure what's happened. Well I've got an idea but seems a bit out there.

Photos:

The culprit (bottom of the tank)
image.jpg

Zoomed out
image.jpg

Looking from inside can see more damage along the join
image.jpg

image.jpg

And a close up of the hole it's leaking out from the inside
image.jpg

Hard to see but there's a stream of water coming out the hole
image.jpg

So it seems there's quite a bit of damage 3-4 inches along the seam but only the spot where the 3 seams joins is there a leak.

My theory is.. That spot in the tank was well overgrown with my organ coral and it was quite the habitat for worms and pods. I can only imagine something ate the silicone and the spot where the 3 seams meet would have been the weakest point.
All other silicon joins are sound.

Does anyone know of this happening before? I can't imagine the pain this would cause on a larger tank.

Last edited:

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Oh and the cabinet what do people think of the damage? Still safe to use? I've put my full weight on it and it seems solid..

image.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would wait for the stand to dry out before testing its strength - I'm can't tell if it is MDF or particle board, although it's probably the latter, but it will swell up when wet and will loose all of its strength.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I'm with Majic. If it's MDF just let it dry out. If it's chipboard/particleboard, it will have lost its structural integrity.

Re the silicon. The edges of the damage are too straight. I'm thinking the damage might be from an algae scraper etc. I couldn't imagine anything ingesting silicon.

Also if those are air bubbles in the silicon then it was never done right, if it's water bubbles it would be consistent with scraper damage.

Mate you must have run over a chinaman. :)

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I would wait for the stand to dry out before testing its strength - I'm can't tell if it is MDF or particle board, although it's probably the latter, but it will swell up when wet and will loose all of its strength.
Okay thanks. It's pretty dry now but will leave for another day or two. Need to wait for the silicone to dry anyway.

All I can find regards to the material is "water resistant inner material"
Could be anything!

I'm with Majic. If it's MDF just let it dry out. If it's chipboard/particleboard, it will have lost its structural integrity.

Re the silicon. The edges of the damage are too straight. I'm thinking the damage might be from an algae scraper etc. I couldn't imagine anything ingesting silicon.

Also if those are air bubbles in the silicon then it was never done right, if it's water bubbles it would be consistent with scraper damage.

Mate you must have run over a chinaman. :)
Thanks mate, I think when they prepped for silicone there was dust or moisture under that bead and overtime it's lifted.
Where the hole is seems to be a bit more suss as its not straight.
Maybe it's a combination of things?

I don't think it could be from a scrapper either as that area has been covered in sand for 4 years.
Who knows..

Haha I think I walked under a ladder, broke a mirror and saw a black cat all on Sunday as it was a bad day with a few things.

First casualty has been my SSC frag, all ther corals/fish are doing okay and behaving normal.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
That's are good sign, even if we don't know what it is :)

Is there a section where the covering material has lifted to expose the main product?

Excellent news.
I suppose luckily there is no section lifted enough to see what it is.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
How are things looking now?
Was hoping to get everything transfered over today but this weekend was a bit more hectic than I had planned.
I've tested the fixed tank, re assembled the stand, fit most of the gear and filled the sump with salt water. Moving everything over tomorrow night shouldn't take to long.
Other than losing the SSC I'm happy with how everything's done in their temporary home. Touch wood though! :rofl