Reef Discussion

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Why is my Green Star Polp Coral Sulking??
I bought it a week ago. It was open in the shop and looked lovely but since I brought it home, its sulked. Every so often, a polyp or two ventures out but retreats after a few hours. Admittedly, more have opened each time since I cleaned it (covered in detritus from the LFS) and even more since I moved it into a more shaded spot. But its still not opening right up or extending much. My water paras are all good except for the Phosphates which I'm working to reduce now, though I suspect its why my Goni is so perky. I am running two powerhead filters with Phos-guard and activated carbon on alternate days, rinsing the sponges/filter media each day and doing NSW water changes once a week (which all the corals seem to love as well). I had read GSPCs are easy enough to keep so I was wondering what I might be doing so wrong for this guy :(

Attachments

malau

Oct 13, 2011
IME check the lighting. Mine wont open if the lighting is not good. I may be wrong tho

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I've heard that they are nitoriously difficult to keep because of their soft structure.
I was told that it could take up to a month before any polyps extend at all, so moveing it may not be the best option as it will continue to stress it.
This is just what i was told, take it with a grain of salt

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I've heard that they are nitoriously difficult to keep because of their soft structure.
I was told that it could take up to a month before any polyps extend at all, so moveing it may not be the best option as it will continue to stress it.
This is just what i was told, take it with a grain of salt
Ok. But everywhere I've looked online says "easy", "beginners coral", "forgiving of low water quality", that sort of thing. One site even says that they LOVE phosphates and nutrient-rich water! I was expecting more trouble with my Goni because EVERYONE says they are finicky little sods but mine seems delighted with his placement, lighting, water flow, paras. As for stressing it, 3 days ago, I tore it in half.......:eek.......but, but, it was for a good reason!!! It was already falling apart into a natural division and I had noticed a patch on the coral heads that kept growing over with a clear-ish filmy stuff and when I blew it away with a syringe, it grew back within 24 hrs. Quick search online said that any damaged/diseased parts should be cut off to save the rest of the coral. So I did that, cleaned off even more detritus/muck and then thought "mays well frag it". So I did. Both parts had about half (lost count at 30) of the polyps come out today for a while (they're tucked up again now) so I am hoping its recovering from its surgery. I'll let you know how it goes and post pix :)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
leave it alone as per Matt. mine sometimes does this as well and then comes back with a vengeance. By the way seems to tolerate all sorts of lighting and flow situations-I've fragged mine and moved it a few times and it's always stalwart.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I got one a couple of weeks ago. Same thing, looked great in the LFS, got it home and it never opened. Everything else I got that day is going great. It never showed a glimmer of life - dead as, now.
In fact a bloody majano grew out of it a couple of weeks later!!!