Reef Discussion

longlenium

Jul 22, 2013
White Spot
Hi everyone
I have a issue with my tank ATM
I notice my lipstick tang having small sign of white spot
The question is what can I do to cure or prevent this from happening?

Thanks
Long

Jen

Oct 4, 2013
@longlenium ,
Dave at Deer Park normally has the Medic in stock but we took the last one he had last weekend. He was ordering some more might have some in stock now. Medic does the trick, you don't want to stress the fish out by trying to catch it an put it in a QT tank and sometimes it is just best to treat the whole tank anyway.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Hyposalinity treatment in a QT & leaving the display tank fallow for six weeks is the ONLY proven method. But unless you then QT all new fish for 4-6 weeks you're wasting your time.

The problem with over the counter treatments is they only deal with one or two phases of the marine ich life cycle. There are four life stages and the only way to end all is to provide no host (fish). BTW Marine ich is sometimes referred to as whitespot but it is not related to true whitespot which is a disease found in freshwater fish. Marine ich is a parasite.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
You can also use copper and the tank transfer method which will both kill ich in a qt tank. You will need to leave your display tank fishless for at least 10 weeks before you can re introduce fish again.
Or you can just live with it and just manage the ich in your tank by having good water quality, low stress and good luck.

longlenium

Jul 22, 2013
Thanks to ken and Jen for taking the last bottle........lol...... While wait for the medic ....I do more water change and put garlic in the foods.... I can see my banner fish while spot slowly disappear ..... But my blond lips tang is x_x ... Sooo dear ken and Jen...I'll still give you guy a visit too settle with your tang

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Copper will kill every invertebrate in your tank - for years!

It is highly toxic to fish & deadly to inverts, it's absorbed into live rock, substrate etc and then leeches out for years, wrecking your tank. Copper is a last resort and should never be done in a display tank under any circumstances. All those dead inverts will foul the water :(

ben burg

Nov 1, 2013
I have used medic it worked fine I also have tried Hypo salinity treatment and it was more of a Hassel

longlenium

Jul 22, 2013
i notice when i use medic... my croral not too happy
total lost - powder blue
- 3 clown
- 1 cleaner wrasse
- 1 lipstck tang
- 1 hammer
- 1 plate

tank soo far look happy now

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
There's always the easy way and the right way.

The easy way is never the right way. Why? Because the so called easy ways are invented because people won't do it the right way. Yes hypo treatment is a major pita and you have to be exact. That "exactness" is what makes it work.

But you must have the right tools including a good refractometer suited to marine aquariums.. There are hundreds of different refractometers for different purposes.