Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Which Generator To Get For Indoors?
Hey guys,

I need an answer urgently. I've just been alerted to a power outage all day tomorrow which leaves me little time to prepare for it. I want to get myself a generator so I can run the heater, a powerhead and a small fan as its going to be top of 27 degrees and my tank is not in a well insulated room so it gets hot in there.

Bunnings and Masters - which generator should I get thats not going to be fumey and loud indoors?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Those work well, but NEVER, EVER use one inside, PERIOD! They spew oily fumes and will kill your fish and you too probably. Put it right outside somewhere, they're more quiet than a lawnmower. Get several containers of the proper oil for it too, they use quite a bit. We used to use that style generator for camping and it's pretty quiet

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
+1 on the above. Never run them indoors, especially unattended.

They wont be loud (not new ones these days) and run an extension lead inside

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
So I learnt something - no such thing as an indoor one :rolleyes

I was going to go with the above but I've just been reminded my brother in law has a generator he uses for camping and he needs me to do him a favour so we've struck a deal - all sorted :) Bless my sister for marrying a country guy!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Going well so far, I was able to stay home today and am running both tanks on life support. The workers took a 2 hour lunch break which was noted by us and the neighbors but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt they had their reasons and do care that the icecream is melting