Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
When You Buy Lps Corals ....
Do you consider the size of it? Let say we have 2 orange hammer, 1 is significantly smaller than the other, which one would you pick?

So, in general, do you usually pick the one with big skeleton hence longer and bigger tentacles?

My 2 torch corals are slightly small in a 55g tank (due to its captivity from the 20L nano tank) and it is SO DAMN HARD to grow them ...... I've tried target feeding (reef roids, mysis, brine, you name it), I've tried supplement (Seachem) and nothing help to expand them.

I'm now thinking and it's probably time to get bigger size of LPS corals ... bigger means more meaty and elegance in a 55G tank.

Anyway, let's get back to the question in my 1st paragraph .. do you consider size of LPS corals when you purchase them?

areefbuilders.com_files_2013_01_yellow_hammer_coral.jpg

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
I have a nano, so usually try to buy smaller. However, this usually means im looking at the overall size of polyp extension as opposed to the skeletal size itself.

And i NEED that hammer in the reef builders pic. Or a red one :)

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
I do consider size yep (I have a 6ft) but my main consideration is colour and health first really. Small ones I can slide into tighter spots while bigger ones can have bigger spots in my tank.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Depends what I'm trying to achieve - I have 3 hammers ranging from a large piece about 30cm across to a small marbled toxic green/purple that is only 5cm across. I have them arranged in steps from front to back in a zig zag. I'm currently looking for an orange or a pink medium sized piece to fit a gap, so I look mainly for colour and then size to fit a gap I want to fill.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Just tried to get a quick pic with the phone to show you my hammers, photo bombed. Happens every time without fail, the first pic will have this guy streaking across the screen... :banghead

as14.postimg.org_n9ex2rzr5_IMAG0296.jpg

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
What's your fool-proof guide for growing them?
Patience :)

With LPS some will take time, I have some toxic utra the best of the best QLD hammers. They came from buds of a well known specimen here in WA one of the brightest of green we have ever seen. They are the type with the extra big vescules and grow so slow, Its taken several years but are now golf ball size and really stand out in my big 2 x 1 meter DT despite the small size. After so much time and effort these type pieces become pride and joy's.

It probably takes some resilience too, its very frustrating when you spend much time and effort on a specimen or display only to fail or get set back.

I recon a lot of successful reefers have OCD, that helps a lot too :p