Off-Topic

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
What's your age and time in this hobby?
Just wondering every 1's age here and your time in the reefing hobby.

6 years marine, 4 tanks in that time. 3FT, 4FT, 6FT and now my 5FT.

*Edited to better reflect my question*

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I think that experience in freshwater is the only reason I went to marine.... I "mastered" freshwater keeping and wanted more of a challenge, thats how I ended up here. If I had never kept freshwater fish invert's and plants I would never have started a marine tank!

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I think that experience in freshwater is the only reason I went to marine.... I "mastered" freshwater keeping and wanted more of a challenge, thats how I ended up here. If I had never kept freshwater fish invert's and plants I would never have started a marine tank!

I think you will find 95% are like that. I was more just getting a feel for marine experience on the boards and ages.

FW is nothing like Reef Tanks :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
keeping high tech planted freshwater tanks is no easy feat...I think that a lot of plants are harder to keep happy than some corals!

It all comes down to water parameter maintenance... Its the same for both types of water, neither are really "hard" when you get it sorted.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i think reefing and planted tank hobbiests both fall into the high level enthusiast category, being good at one dosnt necessarily make you good at the other but i think it definitely gives you a big head start in the crossover.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I agree about the planted tanks, probably more maintenance ECT as well, and some splendid specimans out there but I was not interested in FW tanks (Hence I didn't list my time in the hobby)

MY idea was to see what the age of every 1 was and their time in this hobby. Clearly I was on the wrong track with that idea!

Doh.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah i hear what your saying, i didn't see much point in saying i kept/killed guppies as a 5 yo, but thats because most of my experience is in marine and i dont think i learned really anything proper about fish keeping until my uncles set me up.

But on the other hand I can see if your someone who has been keeping various aspects of FW for 10 years but only reefing for 6 months, you wouldn't want to be seen in the same respect as someone who has gone out one weekend and thought they are pretty lets try keeping a reef tank (no offense to anyone that falls into this category).

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
26 in two days.

reefing around a year now, give or take a few months.

FW 17 years.( i know you didn't want this but its there ;) )

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
little off topic
in my opinion there are two ways you can think of "experience" there are plenty of people that have been keeping marine for multiple years but they still all-ways seem to have issues and dramas.
personally i believe time doing something doesnt allways make someone better and more experienced on the topic
examples
dancing- my girlfriend used to dance she had done it for 10 yrs + there was this girl that danced with them, she was 11 she had been danceing for 1 year but what is amazing is that she was a better dancer then people that had been doing it for years.(i know people are going to say she is younger more flexible bla bla bla but shouldnt all the others that have been dancing for a decade be better as they have the experience?)
computers - allmost all the people that have been doing it for a long time often have gave up on learning , they don't stay current and in turn people willing to learn new things surpass them.
fresh water - i did it for 10 years, i have seen people create fresh water tanks that had been in the hobby for a few months and they made a 10x better tank then i ever could!

the one thing i hate the most in the world is when someone looks down at someone else just because they have less "time" then the other person. the funny thing is i often see people that have been reefing for a year or two with nicer tanks then someone doing it for 15 years.

moral of this rant is that time in hobby's shouldn't matter! (not directed at you rus) this is something i have been noticing with alot of hobby's. and it really infuriates me!

when someone gives advice it is often a personal opinion. different things work for different people. i have a different style to everyone else and vice versa. i believe there are multiple ways to achieve the same results in this hobby.