Reef Discussion

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
What should my alk be?
Hey guys my alk is a little low ATM, someone on here said I should raise it a little
More then it should be so that my algae goes away
What should I boost it up to?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I could be wrong here (it happens a lot) but I don't think Alk will have much of an effect on your algae problem. That would be a nutrient / Phosphate problem.
Natural saltwater is around 7.5-8 Kh. sps I believe like their Alk a little higher. What is your reading now?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Yep, 6 is to low mate.
Have a read of this thread MagicJ started, helped us a lot when trying to get the levels set in the first place. Randy's Recipe Works well if you tweak one at a time until you reach the desired level. Don't go making large changes, just sneak up on it. :)

The Alk recipe is not expensive & very easy, I would start there. It may not have all the extras that a shop brought additive has, but it will defiantly get you to a good place.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Try and get it to around 8.5 dKh or so (slowly - don't dump a bucket load in at once).

What test kit are you using?

Once you have it where you want it, leave it a week and then remeasure. From the drop you should be able to calcuate what your "consumption" is which will help you figure out how much to dose.

For Algae it is a nutrient/Phos problem - look there. Also ensure you have plenty of flow. Sometimes people raise there Magnesium to battle Brysis (raising Mag to around 1250-1300 is a good idea as it helps balance the Ca and Alk out - stops it precipitating out of the water from memory - the little white "scum" ring you sometimes see at the top of the water level)

Remember Alk and Ca have to be in balance. Look for the graph by Randy. It will make sense.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry (notice the Alk units in the graph are not dKh so you will need to convert units - google it)

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Thanks mate I'm using a API test kit, meaning to get Hanna soon, but yeh in raising it slowly its not flow problems for the algae as it is in a high flow area. :s confusing haha

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just did my tests ... and found alk was 5.6! Calcium 450, Mag 1200 ...

Was just about to run out to find some baking soda when I remembered I have some C-Balance 2 part, so I've started adding that slowly.

How did you go, @daniel?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
interesting! i was wrong!
seems to be carbonate buffers, i would still just use B from redsea for bumping it up. min usualy sits down in the 7's

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Top up water to make up evaporation loss lowers KH , my Ro water top up has significant effect on this. Two choices- buffer up your top up or compensate for this by winding up your dosing pumps alk channel or calc reactor. I monitor alk weekly and is about the only test I do. My range that I consider acceptable is between 6.5 and 9 dKH and I aim for around 7 or 8.