Reef Discussion

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
What Is This?
I have these little hairy spikes growing in darker areas of may tanks, curious as to what they may be. Usually under rocks or in the sump ect. Very fragile like fine glass splinters if you were to rub a hand over them they would disintegrate.

I get the feeling they might be silica based ? Possibly related to silica dosing and keeping bacteria blooms suspended for maintaining sponges??

I asked the question on the MASA forum and no suggestions, opening the challenge which is the most knowledgeable forum :p

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae268_oceanarium_IMGP5532_zps885eaf75.jpg

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Certainly not fungal, that like smelly decay stuff Ewww :eek

About the closest thing i could describe is fiberglass bits :p they grow in the same areas the sponges like, under rocks, between egg crate, sump etc any ware they are protected from light and abrasion.

The challenge is on bang the gong :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
currently away from reference books to the end of the week. however, i have the feeling they may be sediment traps created by one of the marine worms or mollusks

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
They are not always thick like a sediment trap, they can and often are solitary. I will get some further pics today

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Pictures are from the underside of two corals that have been on egg crate. Looking further at their distribution in the tanks they do seem to associate with each other, some areas are free of them. The first pic would be by far the most dense mat of them norm is like these pics. I also wonder if they are related to or a Bryzoan type thing ?

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae268_oceanarium_d009_zps5d250fcb.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae268_oceanarium_d005_zpsd233cb28.jpg