Reef Discussion

Bruce449

Mar 1, 2013
What is this? How to fix?
image.jpg
image.jpg

He had a small mark on his face when l got him
And two weeks later its much worse. From the
Side it is raised off his face. Would melafix work?
Help!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Melafix is a mild anitbiotic for treating bacterial infections - whilst I am not sure what the problem is with your fish, it doesn't look bacterial to me. Until you can identify the problem I wouldn't be dosing any medications in the hope that it might work.

Does the fish appear to be in any discomfort?

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
What is he hosting in? Do you have soft corals/LPS in your tank?

Looks to me like he's been trying to host in a coral, which can result In discoloration of the skin. Usually disappears on its own when they either adapt or stop hosting in corals ;)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
agreed, looks like the fish has damage associated with nematocysts (ie coral stings). However, cannot diagnose any further and this is jus a stab in the dark.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
What is he hosting in? Do you have soft corals/LPS in your tank?

Looks to me like he's been trying to host in a coral, which can result In discoloration of the skin. Usually disappears on its own when they either adapt or stop hosting in corals ;)
I'm with meller,

Melafix is a mild anitbiotic for treating bacterial infections - whilst I am not sure what the problem is with your fish, it doesn't look bacterial to me. Until you can identify the problem I wouldn't be dosing any medications in the hope that it might work.

Does the fish appear to be in any discomfort?
Antibiotic??? Tea Tree Oil/Cajeput Oil I thought.