Reef Discussion

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
What Happened To "sexy Shrimp"
Hi everyone. when i started the hobby it was sexy shrimp were everywhere and cheap too! Now that i want a trio nobody can get any or some stupid prices?... so what happened was it just a phase?

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Ive been after these for months and months now. Spoke to Cairns Marine about getting some and they said that they dont see them very often any more.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Not extinct, just very uncommon now.

Which sucks the anus, because i was really hoping to get a shrimp nano going with these little guys!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You might need to look down the coast a little further. I have a friend who collects in S Queensland and he said he's seeing ritteris moving further and further south because of warm water. The sexy shrimp might be doing the same thing. I just looked at availability lists and there are none from Bali, Jakarta or The Philippines. I will inquire about them because you have me curious now. There might be a seasonal issue with them.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
When i was running an OLFS, sexy shrimp were hardly ever, if at all, on a Cairns list but were on the Petras list quite often. This was though, 2-3 yrs ago.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You still have them? Where did you order from?
I didn't order them. Just left my details at a number of my local LFS and then one of them gave me a call 6 months later! Its just a matter of luck and how good the shop is at calling when they have something in they know that you want.

They were so tiny and hard to see, I have a feeling the only reason I got a call was because they hadn't sold Friday or Saturday and the weekend was nearly over.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
It's probably like when I was after my first Tiger Blenny. No one had any, then a few shops got a demand for them and so some one managed to collect a small load of them and they were in the shops again.

Maybe it's just that people aren't asking for them enough to make a collector bothered to go out and collect a bunch of them?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I would think they would be on an international transshippers list if they were available. I mean, they ship all over the world so someone, somewhere would want them.