Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
What Could This Be?
Hi all,

Just wondering what this coral is?

From pictures on the internet it looks like a Montipora or a Goniopora stutchburyi.

Could it be Sunset Montipora?

I have had it for about one year now and it hasn't died.

Cheers,
Glenn

Attachments

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Thanks for that. I will look it up.

Apart from differences in colour, it amazes me how close some of these corals look to each other. Obviously there's subtle differences I am not picking up on.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Hmmmm, I've done some reading, but with in mind how fragile Goni's and Alveopora can be, and wonder about this one....

It has been pushed off it's ledge a number of times and ended up lying on the tank floor upside for several weeks, yet all it's polyps come back out strong. Also it is actually growing along it's edges.

Although the polyps have never extended out any further than what you see in the picture. Also, at other times the polyps can be a rich grass green colour and the base a rich chocolate brown colour.

I have nitrates around 2 and phopshates around 0.6, yet this thing survives!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
def not a gonipora, as they have 24 petals per polyp. Alvepora aka flowerpot has 12 petals per polyp. Its hard to count in your pic but I don't think its 24.
The flowerpot is a really hardy coral, they are pretty bomb proof. But often mistaken for a goni.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I reckon it's Alveopora, I've got a piece that looks exactly the same, colour and shape.
Do the polyps extend out more than say 1cm?

Just wondering if mine is happy as I have looked at pictures of Alveopora that have much longer polyps.

Whatever, mine still looks great. It's colours are washed out in the picture I posted.