Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
What came with my Thistle Coral
Hi, I bought this thistle today...I guess first off...does it look happy?

Main question is though that it has what looks like three small thistle that are white growing from it...what happens if I leave them...can I cut them off and start another will it be white or orange?

Last question you can see another little white coral...will this get poisoned...what could it be...what should I do?
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If the corals came on the same rock then I would just leave them - that's how they were on the reef ;)

But, you have some other issues. Thistle coral (Dendronepthea species), requires low lighting but a high water flow.

They are exclusively ahermatypic, meaning all species lack zooxanthellae required for photosynthesis. Without the symbiotic algae, these corals require a continual wash of phytoplankton across their polyps in order to survive. Indeed, captive conditions may be possible using a regular feeding of phytoplankton, however, the amount of food required would still be extraordinarily difficult to cope with in a closed system.
These quotes are from this excellent article by Eric Borneman http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/1296/1296_4.html.
Here is another one by Rob Toonen http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/Showarticle.php?articleID=72

Sven, any chance you can return this to the shop. Yes, they look spectacular but in reality their is no likelihood of success in a new setup such as yours.

Don't mean to sound harsh mate, just being honest :)

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
:rolleyesyes they told me about light and water flow...feeding NO!! and I asked!!...can't believe they said easy to look after!!...will call tomorrow

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If they had told you that this type of coral had a very low survival rate in captivity and that it needed constant feeding, what you have bought it?? The answer is hopefully no.

With respect to your LFS, they are out to make a buck and fair enough as they have their bills to pay. That is why the onus is on responsible reef keepers to have the knowledge that often the LFS employees don't have. If you like the look of a coral or fish but don't know much about it, ask if they will hold it for you until you do your research. Or ask if you can refer to one of their books which most LFS would have for sale, or under the counter.

Through visiting forums such as this, reading, searching the internet etc you will soon build up a knowledge which will help to prevent this kind of situation reoccurring in the future.

Let us know how you get on with the LFS tomorrow.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Not yet...the LFS is an hour away and doesn't open until 10 and have had to work late...they said they would and I have kept them up to date...just need to get away from work early enough and next weekend am working all weekend...have to pay for this hobby somehow!! LOL

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Some video of my Dendronepthea...still trying to get him back

Edited by MagicJ to embed the video in the post

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
it seems to be going very well...deflates first thing in the morning and over they day slowly inflates..by lights out looking good and during the night looks great....so healthy I think