Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
What brand?
Does anyone know a good brand to go with for lighting? I want to add more light to my Fluval Edge, and I am just wondering what to go with. Any sort is fine (t5, metal halide, led), as long as I get good lighting in the tank. Keep in mind, the tank is tiny.

Cheers!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I agree with Matt here the Edge is soo small that the only real option is DIY LED. Even a 70W metal halide would just about boil the water I think, and the hood is to small for fluros.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
no the light sits in the hood thing above the tank. I have seen some compact fluro mods done on planted tank sites but it wouldnt be enough for anything marine i dont think

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
DIY LEDs sounds good, 3w crees run at 300ma?
Nork would be the person to have a chat to!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Because the LEDs are so close to the surface of the water and because the tank is so shallow I have found 700ma frys most corals at that depth, dropping it down to 300ma such as n0rk did seems to resolve the issues

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Because the LEDs are so close to the surface of the water and because the tank is so shallow I have found 700ma frys most corals at that depth, dropping it down to 300ma such as n0rk did seems to resolve the issues
Just from my own interest of having 24 3w crees sitting over a 45cm deep tank, at 700ma, what's considered shallow? and how would know if a coral was frying?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
How high will you have the light from the surface of the water, you bought dimable drivers didn't you ?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
How high will you have the light from the surface of the water, you bought dimable drivers didn't you ?
About 2 inches from top of tank atm, water about an inch below that. Most of the corals near bottom, though one leather is tallish.
Dimmable yes - down to about 30% up from the lowest setting.
About to be away for a week as of a couple of hours from now, and so panic starting to wind up.....

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
For the first few weeks I would be running them at 30 pct, then slowly wind them up, otherwise you will most likely shock the coral, witch often results in them bleaching

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yeah - that's what I was thinking. Not sure I need to get them too much higher than what they already are - that thing is damned bright at 100%. Will play around when I get back. 5% increments with the RapidLED controller.
Sorry for the thread hijack Dynamic.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ahhh - I now understand the context of your post, especially the question mark at the end ;)

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
I've seen some leds on the fluvals and they work, however they can be very strong in the middle and not have much light on the outside of the tanks. I saw one guy bought some underwater lights to shine some light on the outside edges. He said it was low powered light and wont give any benefits to the growth of corals, however it takes away a lot of the spotlighting effect from the leds in the middle of the tank - :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
If you could mount the LEDs on an angle to shine more outward from the centre... I wonder if this would stop the spotlighting.

Or somekind of diffuser and run the lights at a higher amperage to compensate for the loss through it.