Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Water Test Results
Hi,
I felt I had established the beginnings of stable water parameters, but at nearly 8 months thought it time for a reality check and get a water analysis done.
Bought the ATI test kit from the LFS and sent off my water samples to Germany on Sept 7.
I was getting concerned that it was taking so long, as they told me to expect 7 to 10 days. Sent a follow up, and was told the samples were held up at customs.
I got the results his morning.

Notes :- By Sept 7, when I took the water samples, I knew my dKH was low, ( 6.1 to 6.3) so started dosing Alk again, this time unbaked.
pH has risen a bit, from 8.16~8.24 evenings, to 8.30~8.41 evenings. The last week my Alk is at 8.4 - so that issue is corrected.
Nitrates & Phosphate - knew I was low - had 0 readings for the last 3 months, so removed the second reactor with RowaPhos, and left the other one with only about 80mm Rowa with minimal flow so it does not cake up. Seems I may "need" to now even add Na ??
Calcium - I knew it was high, as I came down gradually from the 500 to about 460. Their analysis shows 451, so I am inclined to just leave it alone for the time being.
Iodine - looks like I need to dose ??
Manganese - do I need to dose ?
Phosphorus - seems I am very low - do I need to add ?
Pollutants - no idea how I would get a 51.53reading ?? any ideas ? Only thing I can think of is the RO/Di water, but the test results for that will follow.

I have attached the results as a pdf and would appreciate your comments.

Tks
Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
based on those results I'd do the following:

1. Add an iodine supplement (pick your brand, most are the same) - being sort of an ambassador for coral essentials, I'd advocate theirs :)
http://www.coralessentials.com.au/coral-power-iodine.html

2. Add a trace heavy metal supplement as almost all your heavy metals are low. This should fit the bill as it will also tackle low manganese:
http://www.coralessentials.com.au/coral-power-trace-b.html

3. Slowly add more fish and therefore feeding. Reduce your water changes and nutrient export temporarily until achieved

4. Test again in 4-6 months :)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
thanks for that.
The test results for the RO water came in - all perfect, so still no idea how I showed the Aluminum in pollutants ?
Iodine - hahaha.. already bought one yesterday , Brightwell,and dosed 15 ml.
Also got the Seachem Reef Plus.
I will get the Trace B for heavy metals tomorrow.

Already removed the second Rowa Phos reactor yesterday, so only the Chato in the Refugium left. :-)
Still have a small bag of Rowa Carbon in the sump - should I remove it ?

Since I had no more issues with Nitrate and Phos, I have been feeding well he last 3 months - fish are fat as pigs, but ( touch wood) not 1 fish loss or white spot for 3 months :cum
Have been pretty disciplined with new fish the last 4 months, so may allow myself a few now :dead

Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam, its per the recommended dosage on the bottle - not the concentrated drops I saw Frankie used.
Not sure if related, but noticed my Skimmer hardly got a foam head.
Removed the sack of Carbon for now.
Turned the tap off of the RO water, to bring my salinity up a bit.
Jac

Just do an ICP test next time and sent it off to Cairns. Much faster and the report generated covers 100% of your sample. I have not done one but I believe Sam and many others have. One day when my tank starts to tell me I'm cutting too many corners i'll get one done...:D

By the way, are you using any Marine pure media?? They are renowned to leach aluminium. If you are planning on keeping any toadstool leathers you'll have no luck. I had a beautiful 30cm toadstool for over a year then started using Marine pure media. Presto, six months later it had slowly withered away. After some looking around it would seem toadstools do not do well in the presence of aluminium at all.

From a post in reef to reef regarding Marine Pure and a BRS finding into aluminium.

"
It's not all that clear that Marine Pure blocks are indeed leaching aluminum. At least not in significant amounts.
As noted, increased amounts of aluminum will usually show up on an ICP test if you place Marine Pure blocks in your aquarium. But ICP tests break everything down into the most basic elements. What the blocks are likely releasing is relatively inert ceramic dust (alumina silicate dust).
Reasons to suspect alumina silicate dust rather than aluminum:
BRS studies showed the amount of aluminum showing up on an ICP test was several times greater relative to the total volume of Marine Pure material for the "dustier" blocks. Namely, the very thin blocks. For the same amount of material, the thin blocks released something like 4 times as much aluminum. If the blocks were actually leaching aluminum, the amount of aluminum released would be roughly proportional to the amount of ceramic material added to the tank. Which is not the case. The spheres released much less aluminum than either block shape. The blocks are extruded shapes which are then cut to size. The cutting process clearly degrades the integrity of the block. The spheres are molded shapes and are much more stable.
Ceramic flower pots will release aluminum at very low and at very high pH levels. Plants in ceramic flower pots will experience obvious aluminum toxicity at low and high pH levels. Plants in ceramic flower pots do not however exhibit symptoms of aluminum toxicity at pH values in the 7.6 to 8.3 ranges. Ceramic materials (alumina silicates) are rather inert and non-reactive at pH values normally seen in a reef aquarium. Bacteria growing on flower pots also does not appear to slow the release of aluminum at low and high pH values. At a pH of 8.0 or so, a Marine Pure block would at worse leach aluminum very, very slowly.
Aluminum toxicity is not something an organism will usually recover from. Plants exposed to high levels of aluminum will continue to decline as long as the source of aluminum remains in place. The plants do not respond poorly at first and then regain health. And most organisms find high levels of aluminum to be toxic. So the fact that just select organisms (like mushroom corals and sponges) react negatively and then recover is not something that would probably happen if the Marine Pure blocks were leaching aluminum. The leaching would continue, the effects would get worse over time and quite a broad range of organisms would likely eventually suffer. Suddenly releasing a bunch of ceramic dust into the aquarium could however temporarily irritate certain corals - which could then recover as the dust slowly settles out. Ceramic dust can be a powerful irritant and is considered a hazard even for humans.
You can visibly see dust fall off of the Marine Pure blocks.
BRS studies also showed a spike of silica on ICP tests when aluminum levels jumped. Which would also be consistent with a sudden cloud of alumina silicate dust.
Many, many people use Marine Pure blocks without seeing any long-term elevated levels of aluminum. I personally use the spheres and have no detectable aluminum. Many folks using the thin blocks (and to a lesser extent the thick blocks) do, however, experience short-term elevated levels of aluminum on an ICP test soon after placing the blocks. And many also notice short-term coral irritation.
I believe largely inert dust is mostly what is showing up on ICP tests. The effect of dumping a bunch of dust into the aquarium is consistent with what most people experience when they place a Marine Pure block in their sump.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marine-pure-does-release-some-form-of-al-into-tank.355397/page-2

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
timing wise with Triton ICP is not all that different to the ATI test and gives much the same parameters, not that I am an advocate for one or the other - just pointing out that they are much of a muchness in cost, time and results :)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks guys. Interesting read, but dont have any Marine Pure blocks or balls.
What I do have, since about 2 months, is ERB. Put approx. 500 gms in a bag into the refugium, just after the filter socks.
I have a Toadstool leather, since 5 months, and if anything it has grown by 30~40%. It has its sulky days, but seems very happy of late, with full PomPom extension.
The fish are very happy. The corals seem to be happy, extending well and some with visible signs of growth.
However just the last 2 days my beautiful Duncan, which always had full extension, has suddenly closed up. This morning only about 4 or 5 of the 25+ polyps are open..first time, so I am concerned.
Also noticed the last days that my skimmer is producing far less than usual. I thought this may be related to a change in the water chemistry with the addition of Iodine for 3 days ?? and I had removed the Rowa Carbon bag from the sump.
I have not dosed Iodine for 2 days now, so will observe any changes.
Any thoughts, ideas ??
Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
havent heard of ERB leaching aluminium, I'd potentially look to your water supplier to see if that is the source?

Reduced skimming could well be from any changes, but extra iodine could well have been the cause. Just to note, skimming can be affected by the weirdest things.... Humidity, candles, food being cooked etc.

Thanks guys. Interesting read, but dont have any Marine Pure blocks or balls.
What I do have, since about 2 months, is ERB. Put approx. 500 gms in a bag into the refugium, just after the filter socks.
I have a Toadstool leather, since 5 months, and if anything it has grown by 30~40%. It has its sulky days, but seems very happy of late, with full PomPom extension.
The fish are very happy. The corals seem to be happy, extending well and some with visible signs of growth.
However just the last 2 days my beautiful Duncan, which always had full extension, has suddenly closed up. This morning only about 4 or 5 of the 25+ polyps are open..first time, so I am concerned.
Also noticed the last days that my skimmer is producing far less than usual. I thought this may be related to a change in the water chemistry with the addition of Iodine for 3 days ?? and I had removed the Rowa Carbon bag from the sump.
I have not dosed Iodine for 2 days now, so will observe any changes.
Any thoughts, ideas ??
Jac
Try feeding those Duncan heads a few pellets, my Duncan loves target feeding. Not sure if target feeding is part of your feeding routine? It certainly help a whole lot if all your other water parameters are in check.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks,
Once I got my Phos down to 0 about 4 months ago, I was able to increase feeding . Currently feed heaps, as in mornings a cube of Brine shrimp, cube of Artemia, cube of Mysis, with a few drops of Amino acids, garlic, 3 different pellets and bit of flake all mixed into a soup. Then add a quarter teaspoon of Reef Roids for the corals. Same thing in the evening. Then 2 or 3 times a week, I also target feed the corals, with a mix of Roids, Coralific, Coral Frenzy and some mysis, with a few drops of Coral Plus.
Only issue is when i target feed the corals, the fish dash in, even though I feed them at the same time, to distract them. I suspect they irritate the corals with nips to get at the solid food.
My recent water test results, showed all parameters good, in fact a recommendation to increase my Nitrates from 1.0 to 2.0 :-) but I still have slight algae growth, especially on the sand bed , and I have to clean my glass every second day, as there is a green sheen which I am pretty sure is from the lights.
After 8 months now, I would have expected this algae to be less.. any tricks, suggestions ?
Since a week I find small "dots" on the glass, along with Coraline algae patches ( growning really fast now) - the dots seem to have "tentacles", so I tried to get some close up shots. Excuse the poor quality, but do they look like algae or something more sinister like Aptasia spawn ?

Attachments

Thanks,
Once I got my Phos down to 0 about 4 months ago, I was able to increase feeding . Currently feed heaps, as in mornings a cube of Brine shrimp, cube of Artemia, cube of Mysis, with a few drops of Amino acids, garlic, 3 different pellets and bit of flake all mixed into a soup. Then add a quarter teaspoon of Reef Roids for the corals. Same thing in the evening. Then 2 or 3 times a week, I also target feed the corals, with a mix of Roids, Coralific, Coral Frenzy and some mysis, with a few drops of Coral Plus.
Only issue is when i target feed the corals, the fish dash in, even though I feed them at the same time, to distract them. I suspect they irritate the corals with nips to get at the solid food.
My recent water test results, showed all parameters good, in fact a recommendation to increase my Nitrates from 1.0 to 2.0 :) but I still have slight algae growth, especially on the sand bed , and I have to clean my glass every second day, as there is a green sheen which I am pretty sure is from the lights.
After 8 months now, I would have expected this algae to be less.. any tricks, suggestions ?
Since a week I find small "dots" on the glass, along with Coraline algae patches ( growning really fast now) - the dots seem to have "tentacles", so I tried to get some close up shots. Excuse the poor quality, but do they look like algae or something more sinister like Aptasia spawn ?
Cleaning the glass is always going to be one of the thins that gets done every few days. Maybe look into getting that auto glass cleaner advertised a while back.... Super cool.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Fishy,
looked into that. Looked cool, but it is still a proto-type, so best stand back and let it work out the kinks.
I thought the dots were just algae, but the "tentacles" alarmed me.. cleaned them off, and only a few reappear every few days. What do you think they are ?
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
must be a different one. The one I was sent a link to last year, was experimental, and in fact they were looking for investors.
Is Robo Snail a brand..have you used it ? would get one with my glass size, if it works :-)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
thanks. Will check it out.
I am a bit alarmed at my Coraline growth. It has been covering the rocks well the last 3 months, which was encouraging. However, the last week i have noticed a very dramatic change in that it no longer just the purple/pink color, but has become a very light pink, nearly white color, and will cover an entire rock over a 24 hour period. I dont know if this is "normal" or just a different coloration of Coralie, or as I have observed in the sump, it starts as an olive green patch, which then turns the typical purple Coraline.
I have been dosing Iodide the last 10 days, which I am sure is somehow related, started to dose Calcium after 3 months without.
Although I kept my Alk dosing the same, with readings of abut 8, once the started dosing the Calcium again, I noted a drop in the Alk, but only a slight increase in pH.
I stopped dosing Iodide 2 days ago, but th white/pimk Coraline has continued to spread so fast.
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
wow - you have a lot of coral already huh!

I wouldn't be too fussed about the white algae, especially when the rest of the tank is looking fine. You didn't by chance add an urchin to the tank recently? They will eat coralline algae and leave behind a white trail like that