Reef Discussion

how often do you do water changes

• Total voters
Yeah thats what i was thinking. I was thinking of more with regular water changes, you would be replenishing this minor trace elemenst. Theirs alot of learning here

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I do about 10 litres out of about 65-70l total weekly. For a while I was doing them twice weekly as I was starting to get some serious algae growing despite 0 detectable phosphates. Since I added a HOB 'fuge I've gone back to once a week. I've managed to keep my tank stable fairly stable since I finished its initial cycle. Will be interesting to see what happens now there's fish in there.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
regular water changes are one of the best things you can do for a tank. regular smaller waterchanges seems to keep things more stable then not so often large ones

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I've found that starting marine has forced me into the habit with all of my other tanks - some of which I've often been lax on in the past (canisters do wonders on 2ft tropical tanks :D). Trying to get on top of the algae in the marine tank has frustrated me into getting into the habit. It's cheap, it's effective, and it's not necessarily difficult (I pump my water up to the tank :P)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
when i buy a house i will design a room dedicated to the workings of the tank. and have the tank in the wall. thats only a dream at this time tho it will be a few years away.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Im changing 40L every fortnight - depending on the quality of the NSW at the time. Its a 250L tank so its a good percentage - I figure if the water is such good quality in the ocean than regular water changes with it will keep my fish and tank happy and will keep any perameter spikes in check! -----hopefully-----

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
2 blocks maybe? :drool
(thats just a beach though)
i didn't like using it from the beach, more suitable places around 10 min drive?

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
haha, yea matt you pretty much live on the beach! Tallabugera creek would be a good close spot to collect it from -
Just so all the non Gold Coasters know, Tallabugera creek just got voted australias cleanest beach! Water is perfect and full of life - if only i lived 5 minutes away from it! (hint hint Matt)

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I change about 200l a week , I think the Tank would be about 800l after water displacement . So 25% ish

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
out of a 200l approx. tank I only change every fort night or so. around 30L.

I was having mixed results doing it more frequently. I was doing a 20L a week but found the 30L a fortnight to keep a more stable environment. the tank relies heavily on bacterial filtration, I will type up my records of how the tank went when I first started it up in a TJ when I get a camera hopefully this week!

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Monthly for me and it works for my tank. Tanks been established for 2 years and everything is thriving.
The first year I use to do it forthnightly.

If i wasnt so busy I would do it forthnightly, but have been doing monthly for a good year now.

400L tank and i change 50L a month.