Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Water Change
Hi Guys,
my new SpectraPure LiterMeter finally arrived yesterday. !
I got one main control unit and 1 slave pump.
Got it set up, and calibrated right away. Then came the fun of plumbing it into the system.
The fish room and sump are so long, so had to figure out the most practical location for access to the new water and the power.
Set up the main unit on the all close to the main 40mm pipe that comes from the top IBC.
It draws water from that pipe, and discharges it into the filter socks in the sump.
The slave then draws water out of the sump, by the filter socks compartment, and discharges it all the way at the other end of the fish room, into the drain under the sink.
Got it all up and running last night. Ironically, the shortest pipe, from main unit to the IBC intake pipe, only about 350mm, was so short, I did not want to cut into a new roll of the John Guest pipe, so I cut a small extra piece I had left from when I set up the RO/DI.
At 6 this morning I go down to the basement to check, and find the floor awash with water from the fish room all the way to the basement sump pit !! Seems that short pipe created a split in the curve going up to the connector , and must have been spraying water most of the night. !!
Lesson learned - dont try to be too practical or tight, use everything new.
I had attached the units to the wall with velcro patches, but from past experience, was 'wise' enough to add a cord to each, in case the patches let go, and the units would fall into the water below.
Good I did it, as both had given.
Dashed to Bunnings this morning, and bought a rack to mount them - does not look too sexy, but practicality first, and aesthetics later.
Got it all rigged up now, and running well.
Set it to take in 50 liters of new water from the top IBC, and the other pump to discharge 50 liters from the sump to the waste.
Chipping away ... getting there.
Keep you posted on progress.

Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Nice one, you won’t be disappointed with the litermeter, fantastic units.

Glad you didn’t rely solely on Velcro, the humidity plays havoc with them :)

Enjoy not having to do water changes again! Be sure to clean out each pump head every 4 months and replace the rubber tubing every 12 months and they should last you 20 years.

Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
One question though, the pipe that the main unit draws water from, is it always full of water? Is the IBC above it?

Hi Guys,
my new SpectraPure LiterMeter finally arrived yesterday. !
I got one main control unit and 1 slave pump.
Got it set up, and calibrated right away. Then came the fun of plumbing it into the system.
The fish room and sump are so long, so had to figure out the most practical location for access to the new water and the power.
Set up the main unit on the all close to the main 40mm pipe that comes from the top IBC.
It draws water from that pipe, and discharges it into the filter socks in the sump.
The slave then draws water out of the sump, by the filter socks compartment, and discharges it all the way at the other end of the fish room, into the drain under the sink.
Got it all up and running last night. Ironically, the shortest pipe, from main unit to the IBC intake pipe, only about 350mm, was so short, I did not want to cut into a new roll of the John Guest pipe, so I cut a small extra piece I had left from when I set up the RO/DI.
At 6 this morning I go down to the basement to check, and find the floor awash with water from the fish room all the way to the basement sump pit !! Seems that short pipe created a split in the curve going up to the connector , and must have been spraying water most of the night. !!
Lesson learned - dont try to be too practical or tight, use everything new.
I had attached the units to the wall with velcro patches, but from past experience, was 'wise' enough to add a cord to each, in case the patches let go, and the units would fall into the water below.
Good I did it, as both had given.
Dashed to Bunnings this morning, and bought a rack to mount them - does not look too sexy, but practicality first, and aesthetics later.
Got it all rigged up now, and running well.
Set it to take in 50 liters of new water from the top IBC, and the other pump to discharge 50 liters from the sump to the waste.
Chipping away ... getting there.
Keep you posted on progress.

Jac
Good work mate, certainly will help with consistency.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Nice one, you won’t be disappointed with the litermeter, fantastic units.

Glad you didn’t rely solely on Velcro, the humidity plays havoc with them :)

Enjoy not having to do water changes again! Be sure to clean out each pump head every 4 months and replace the rubber tubing every 12 months and they should last you 20 years.

Sam
Sam,
thanks. I specifically asked for extra rubber tubing to be able to do the internal tube change after a year, but they forgot to include it. :-( Is there an alternate tubing I can get locally, or will I have to play the freight game again ?

Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
One question though, the pipe that the main unit draws water from, is it always full of water? Is the IBC above it?
Sam, yes, the big black valve to the right, controls the IBC water. It is now left partially open, so the tube is always full of water for the pump to draw. Yes, the top IBC is at ground level outside, and water is drawn with gravity.
I was a bit concerned , so I called the supplier for the John Guest fittings, where we got the clamps to attach to the pipe for intake and discharge, to ask if these clamps can take pressure. He had no idea.
It is only head pressure, not pump high pressure, so I went ahead. The connection looks ok, although I see a very slight drip every 30 minutes, from where the rubber stick on seal between clamp and pipe sits.
I have been watching it. Worst case scenario, I will remove it, dry the outside of the pipe, and add silicone before re-attaching the clamp.
Have you had experience with this ?
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I've used those fittings on drain pipes only, so no pressure. I wasn't overly concerned with it holding pressure (although if it is dripping I would be!). I was more worried that the supply pipe from the IBC could run dry (would be easy to switch it off and have everything look like it is operational, but 50l a day will soon empty the pip!)

The replacement tubing is specific to litermeter so you would need to import it again, thankfully these are super small and cheap, so it's easy enough to import a bunch at once. I'll probably be ordering some soon and can get some more in for you if needed?

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
the main unit draws from the pipe connected to the top IBC, yes, and it would be easy to overlook that it is actually dry... but I forgot to mention - about 3 weeks ago, we improvised a solution, to draw an electrical cable down the 40mm water pipe, connecting the 2 IBCs at the waterfront, to the tip IBC. We cut the pipe at the entry to the top IBC, and used a cork ball float attached to fishing line,and water pressure on side, and my wet/dry vacuum the other side, to draw it through !! A Eurika moment when it finally popped out 27 meters down the line, and 4 bends along the way. !!
Then used the 200 Lb fishing line, to pull the electrical cable through.. another fun job, but once we got it, we were able to install a float switch in the top IBC. The other end, punches through the water pipe at the 2 IBCs , and connects to the pool pump there, which pumps water from the 2 lower IBCs to the one at the top.
A few adjustments for what angle the float switch turns on and off, and we got it.
Now the top IBC fills to approx. 80%, so 800 Ltrs, and the 2 at the water side are a decent 2000 ltrs reserve.
Gives me ample warning time when I need to get another load of water.
I will do a run some time this week, with the high tides, as i sold the boat. I am able to load 6 big blue 200 Ltr drums now. Plan to buy a smaller boat, so will probably be a lot less each trip.
I have asked around for a connector to take the John Guest fittings, but be for a pressure connection, but cannot seem to find one. For now, I am watching it, and the "leak" is no more than a slight ooze, say 1 drop every hour, so I can still sleep , for now.

Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
I've used those fittings on drain pipes only, so no pressure. I wasn't overly concerned with it holding pressure (although if it is dripping I would be!). I was more worried that the supply pipe from the IBC could run dry (would be easy to switch it off and have everything look like it is operational, but 50l a day will soon empty the pip!)

The replacement tubing is specific to litermeter so you would need to import it again, thankfully these are super small and cheap, so it's easy enough to import a bunch at once. I'll probably be ordering some soon and can get some more in for you if needed?
Sorry forgot - yes, please - if you are ordering replacement rubber tubes, pls order 4 for me.
Tks
Jac