Reef Discussion

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Watchmen Goby jumped from tank
Hi my friend came home to his Watchmen Goby on his kitchen floor it has jumped from his Nano.
It was very dry but still alive, its back in the tank but not looking very good.

What are his chances of survival I already know its a long shot but can he survive?
Is there anything we can do? He looks very stressed.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
You could drop the salinity in the tank so there is less salt.
agreed, the fish would be severly dehydrated. Gobies are relatviely tough. If perminant damage has not been sustained to the gills and skin/scales, best to lower the salinity so water will enter the fish at a faster rate. Once hydrated, increase the salinity SLOWLY over a period of DAYS.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
agreed, the fish would be severly dehydrated. Gobies are relatviely tough. If perminant damage has not been sustained to the gills and skin/scales, best to lower the salinity so water will enter the fish at a faster rate. Once hydrated, increase the salinity SLOWLY over a period of DAYS.
Just out of interest, how much should you drop the salinity by?

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
Maybe time for a cover on the tank so it doesn't happen again also
Always a sad time when you find a fish all dried up :(
Good luck with the recovery

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Just out of interest, how much should you drop the salinity by?
You can drop the salinity VERY QUICKLY with relativley little harm to fish (DO NOT HAVE INVERTS IN THE TANK). However, you must raise the salinity VERY SLOWLY over a period of days, say no more than a rise of 0.001/day

Last edited:

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
My friend is pretty upset, his first fish death. Lets just say he paid a premium for this fish as well.
One thing that's positive is that Reef Secrets have some coming in so he can get a new one this week.
And he will be getting some kind of cover for his nano :)