Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
VP's 80L Starfire Nano
Introduction:
Hi All,​
I picked up a new tank off a member on masa who started the project but lost interest and did not finish it. He built it to replicate an ELOS designed tank, so here I am 4 months after my first project building another....​
So, In the process of setting up for my next large project i have decided to setup this nano tank to house some of my frags and rare Rics/Corals while i transition.​
System Objectives:
House my precious corals while i get ready for my larger tank. It will be setup as a bare bottom shallow reef with DSB/Refugium in the sump.​
Type of reef:
Mixed Sps/Lps​
Display System:
Initial Fill Date:
10/12/2011​
Display Tank Dimensions:
800mm x 400mm x 300m​
Display Lighting:
Octopus Horizon T5​
2 x 24w HO White​
2 x 24w HO Blue​
Stand:
Custom Built Steel frame with Laminated wooden panels.​
Hood or Rimless:
Rimless​
Sump Design:
Skimmer section, DSB with Macro section and Return Section.​
Filtration:
Bubble Magnus Skimmer​
Support systems:
Display Water circulation:
Eheim Compact 3000 running into a Wavemaker split 4 ways into the main display tank.​
2 x Tunze 6015's​
Skimmer:
Bubble Magnus NAC Skimmer​
Evaporation Top Up:
Manually to begin with but will be using a Tunze soon.​
Chemical additions:
Going to Run Read Sea products and see how they go..

So far i have installed the tank, done all the plumbing and electrical work.

I will be picking up the Bubble Magnus NAC tonight for it and will go hunting for some DSB substrate tomorrow. LFS has Marble dust available but im unsure on this, anyone used it before??
I also need to pickup a heater and i plan on running a Cooler if i can pick one up off a member who no longer needs it.
Here are some pics so far, as this is my first nano setup any advice will be great.:)
Plumbing
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5901.jpg

Tank
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5899.jpg

4 x Return lines
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5900.jpg

Octopus Lighting
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5887.jpg

Full tank shot
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5891.jpg

Picture of my living room, nano on the left, 6 foot on the right
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5894.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Very tidy tank mate.

I have been using marble dust for 5+ years with no problems. Most people could not tell the difference between this and crushed coral or sand.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks Magic,

I will go grab some today.

Made alot of progress on it last night so I might fill it up today. :D

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Got my Tank wet today and added 2 tunze 6105's, couldnt resist.:D

Its soooo much easier to aquascape a Nano, love this little tank..

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5904.jpg

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_5906.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
cool looking tank, on saw it on RTAW for sale, it had me wondering though, what happens when the return are turned off, does all the water from the display flow into the sump?

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
NiCd,

Nope, it has a one way valve on it, works like a charm (In the first pic of the thread you can see it to the left). Lol, i wondered the same thing too at first.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
NiCd,

Nope, it has a one way valve on it, works like a charm (In the first pic of the thread you can see it to the left). Lol, i wondered the same thing too at first.
You made me look :) Are they metal clamps on the flexible pipes - if so I would keep a close eye on them.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Magic,

They are stainless clamps on there, using the same type on my 6 foot and has been fine thus far. but definetly keep my eye on them.

I offered the guy $500 for everything and after some tough bargaining he caved in,:D

Bargain imo.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
A little update on my nano.

Tank has cycled well and i had added a few frags and corals over the past weeks. For all the hype, I find the Ati T5's a little washed out imo which is quite disapointing so Im going to swap out 2 for the KZ New gen bulbs and see how we go. My Radions on my 6 foot give the tank alot nicer look to the eye compared to T5's, however the T5's bring out the reds in corals alot better.

Heres a pic
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_6124.jpg

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Niiiiice!!! Love the full length over flow! Is it noisy? I'm impressed
Thanks, Although this tank is sadly no more in my hands, sold it to a member on another forum.

The overflow was very quiet, it only had a drop of an inch over it.