Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
UV Steralizer
Does anybody run a UV Steralizer? I have one that i can hook up however i dont know 1. What they do? and 2. If i should bother

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
some people believe in them personaly i dont with the size units we use. on a larger scale they can definitely do their job although it will also kill all the good bacteria

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
We have a UV set up on our 6Ft, I only use it when we notice a problem starting or it just dont look right. Leave it on for 48Hr's then turn it off again.
Your right, it will kill good bacteria, in the WATER, so your throwing out good bacteria everytime you do a water change. The bulk of good bac will be in your live rock and filter material, not in the water. I have a mesh around the pump that supply's the UV, this way those little pod's dont get sucked in and the Manderian gets a chrispy meal out the other end :eek:

Just my 2.5 cents worth

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
they definately have there place if used right, as has been mentioned it can kill of the good along with the bad. one LFS that I dont bother buying from (1 of two that has marine) runs a UV sterelizer all the time 24 hours a day. his tanks look good but the problem is it also stop the fish from building up resistence to disease and infection. so many times have I heard from locals that have bought from him that they put there fish into their tanks (these are mature tanks some running for years) only to have the fish cop an infection or disease and cark a few days later.

the only time I would use one would be if I noticed a problem in the tank. otherwise if a fish was to get sick I would use a quarantine tank with the same water from the tank and run the stereliser. otherwise I wouldnt use one and just quarantine and use correct meds.

I am a firm beleiver that stable parameters and being ontop of everything and aware of the tanks inhabitants, and do correct maintenance you shouldnt get to much of a problem and the need for meds, or the likes of Uv ster. isnt as necessary as the inhabitants should build up natural, strong resitances to most common probs.

jamie :D