Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Using underwater putty
I am going to be aquascaping and bought some Selley's U Knead It underwater putty.

The catch is tank has water and didn't want to kill anything and drain the tank, but the instructions say after72 hours drain the tank and re fill the tank.

Is it OK to use with fish and corals in the tank or not?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Cant say I have used that putty, I have used marine aqua need it andit worked a charm, what are the ingredients?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There are some reports of it being used in a reef aquarium with no problems. Does it have the same ingredients as similar products designed for use in aquariums - no idea ;)Would I use it? Probably not when there are products readily available which are designed for your proposed purpose. Your call I am afraid.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What are you actually planning on using it for Sven?

I have never found it very successful for trying to join two large rocks together - especially when you are trying to do it in the tank.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I just thought when putting my LR together it would help keep it more stable and can't drill them...other option is cable ties

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Others may have different experiences, but I wouldn't rely on the putty holding you aquascape together. It might help to 'soften' a spot where two rocks touch, but you should be building your structures so that they are solid and stable enough to stand up on their own.
These putty's are primarily used to fix frags onto rocks - frags are not very heavy ;)

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Thanks for that...just saved me some time.

Slightly off topic, but have my LR and sand in a tub and am moving it on Saturday to the tank...yes finally!! How long can the LR be out of water ...is 30 mins too long? I mean I understand that shorter is best, but would really like to have a bit of time to set it up on plastic in front of the tank instead of stuffing around in the tank....

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You are not going to be doing any serious damage in 30 minutes (but, before you know it you will have been working for 2 hours ;) Been there, done that), but you have just cycled your rock i.e. allowed time for anything that was dead or going to die to die. Why risk anything else dieing and having another mini cycle??
I would dump half the rock in one end of the tank and gradually build your structures at the other end. I wouldn't try to set it up outside the tank - you can never get it back the same way anyway :D

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Thanks majic.....you're right...other thing is I want a plain sand bed other end anyway so will have the room!! Thanks

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Good luck with the move on Saturday - take lots of pictures so we can see how it goes (or get someone else to take lots of pictures as you will be up to your armpits in water ;)).

Wish I lived a bit closer to some of you guys so I could lend a hand :cry