Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Upset torch?
Hi all,

Just came back from visiting John @vpreef and his amazing tank! Wow, not much more I can say at this stage.

Well, actually there is, I was lucky enough to pick up a few bits and pieces that he had for sale and now (backwards I know) want to check to ensure nothing in my tank is going to upset a tuning else.

I currently have the following :
Torch
Xenia
Hammer
Green star polyp
Zoas
Pallys

Torch and hammer are at opposite ends of tank. So they are ok.
GSP is next to xenia (but not touching, yet) so they should be ok.
Zoas and Pallys are near Torch - is that ok?

They zoas started to open straight as I put them in the tank, but the torch closed up a little. I'm thinking it was probably just from the disturbance from the tank - but want to check in case I have done something wrong. My torch is my favourite so far, so I won't to make sure I don't upset it.

It's literally only been like an hour in the tank, but just thought it was odd that the new items opened and the torch closed. Am I worrying over nothing (hopefully!)

Sam

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
just make sure the palys and zoas dont touch the torch and youll be fine.

They can be close to each other so long as they are not touching.

Nice meeting you today btw, glad you liked the tank ;)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
They're not touching (but probably only a few cm's between each of the three - can post a pic in the morning)

The torch is downstream from the zoas and Pallys too if that makes a difference.

Probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, it was just about lights out (poor mans sunset!) anyway, will see how torch responds tomorrow.

Nice meeting you too, my wife is more than happy to approve the eventual tank upgrade after seeing your setup!

Sam

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The sting from a torch can be pretty powerful so you don't want anything with reach of it - other than that. I would just give things a chance to settle in.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
The sting of the torch would make the others close up though yeah? Or it would close up whilst stinging too?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hi guys,

Torch (and others) seem fine today, seems I was just doing my usual new coral anxiety dance!!!

Below is a shot with torch fully open, shows that it does get quite close to new pally's, should I move the pally's or let them go? MP10 is to the left of this picture, so stream pushes torch stingers away (I assume)

aimg163.imageshack.us_img163_3019_7ncq.jpg

Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Really? They are probably a good 5-6cm away from zoas? Only 1-2cm from pally's though?

If it will upset zoas, I will move though!
Thanks,
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just an update, all seem to be doing well. GSP took a long time to come out, but is starting too now. Morphs are gong great guns though!
Sam