Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Update On Clear Slime Urghhh !
hi, thought I would update everyone on the clear slime we had in our sump.
I stopped all air fresheners and deodorizers.
It didn't get better it only kept getting worse.
The common sense was that it was some kind of bacterial growing slime, so only answer was to remove everything from sump, vacuum & replace.
When I started removing rocks, the slime was not just on the top as I first suspected it was all through the water, it was as if I had added gelatin to the water, the water had a thick consistency right to the bottom. It was attached to rocks and floated like jellyfish when I was removing them. Stayed together, did not break up.

I still suspect the mushrooms, and not enough flow, if you touch the morphs they are quite slimy, i am assuming without flow this gathers.

So I have added a Tunze (small) to this chamber, and praying it doesn't come back.
It has me baffled (excuse the pun). lol

Here is a quick video of the sump, after the clean.

E

ezza

That's so interesting! Do you use biopellets by any chance? It may be unrelated; the first time I started using bio pellets, I found the flow had decreased significantly at one point and set about cleaning out the reactor. The pipe from the pump into the reactor was gunned up entirely with what looked like clear snot. I wondered if it was a chemical reaction between pellets and something..

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
That's so interesting! Do you use biopellets by any chance? It may be unrelated; the first time I started using bio pellets, I found the flow had decreased significantly at one point and set about cleaning out the reactor. The pipe from the pump into the reactor was gunned up entirely with what looked like clear snot. I wondered if it was a chemical reaction between pellets and something..
No I don't run bio pellets. When we cleaned sump we did find a heap of gunk in return pump so maybe that was affecting to over all flow. Time will tell I suppose :(

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I wish I was there, I'd still have liked to look at it under a microscope. A microscope is one of those pieces of kit that will sit for months and never be used, but when you need one, they're indispensable.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I wish I was there, I'd still have liked to look at it under a microscope. A microscope is one of those pieces of kit that will sit for months and never be used, but when you need one, they're indispensable.
Just posted a new thread
"Dam its back"
Its back in full flurry. more than before. I am lost and desperate.