New To Reefing

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Update- Akira's Marine Journey
Hi guys!
As on my previous post the tank got really ugly (as I found out due to the cycle) and I freaked out over nothing
I took your advice on board and we purchased marine sand from the pet store up here and took out about half of the previous shell bed (which we got from Hearsons Cove).
We also put in another live rock which came with a couple of surprises- A skinny fish (about 2cm) and a small crab. They all seam happy so I hope they will be ok through this cycle process as we didn't intend on adding fish yet. Akira called the fish Scooter
The protein skimmer is working now and the Ammonia Alert is still in the safe zone. PH is sitting at 8.1 and although we don't have a heater the Temperature is between 25 and 26.5C
As we live in a remote location (Karratha) we are limited with what is available at our local pet store. Is there an online store you recommend to purchase items? I would like to purchase a good testing kit as we just have the basics.
I hope what we have done is ok, Akira loves her new hobby and this is such a rewarding journey (and we don't even have any fish/coral yet)
Also, do we leave the brown furry algae on the older live rocks or do we remove some or all of it?

Thanks again
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2478.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Is that the crab sitting on top of the new live rock or is it a snail?
If it's not the crab can you post a pic of it, some hitchhiker crabs can be pests or worse ... predators
I like the addition of the sand :)
Just be careful not to overfeed that new fish, this can be very tempting at first (most of us have been there)
I'll let others comment on online stores as i have good local sources so have no experience in any of them.
As for the algae currently in the tank, there is no need to get rid of it.
In fact it will be a food source for a cleanup crew or CUC (snails, hermits etc).
Karratha hey, you may not even need a heater up there.
You have probably been asked this already but do you have any idea of what you want to stock in it?

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Is that the crab sitting on top of the new live rock or is it a snail?
If it's not the crab can you post a pic of it, some hitchhiker crabs can be pests or worse ... predators

You have probably been asked this already but do you have any idea of what you want to stock in it?
It's a snail

I've tried getting photos of the little crabs (we got one with each live rock we purchased) but they don't come out of the rocks enough. There are two, one lives in the small rock at the front and one in the new larger one at the front. They look like they have little hairs on them but they both look a little different from each other.
Akira ultimately wants a Nemo and Dory. A starfish or seahorse would be cool but I don't know if they are compatible? As long as nemo and dory are happy that is the goal.

When can we add coral?

I think changes are happening as the Ammonia alert inside the tank is starting to change from yellow (safe) towards the alert range.

Any ideas on testing kits we can buy? I want to purchase a good one as we have the basics.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Ahh, Nemo and Dory ... my kids were the same when i started on this journey, they saw the movie too :D

Salifert and Red Sea test kits seem to be the bench marks, i have the Salifert Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate kits while i have the Red Sea Calcium and Alkalinity kits to go with my Hanna ULR phosphate test kit. Calcium and Alkalinity are not a must have test kit initially until you get serious about corals.
Same for the Hanna PO4 tester as it isnt cheap but if and when you get serious about corals it's almost a necessity imo
Dont know enough about sea horses but i'm not sure they can go in with a Clown and Blue Tang.
Starfish are ok just bare in mind a large one may starve in this size system.
Also consider that Blue Tangs (aka Dory) can grow to 25cm so get a small one and this will give you time to save for an upgrade and then Nemo and Dory can have some friends :D
Corals can be added after the cycle is over around the same time as fish but not at the same time, make sure the system has had time to settle after the addition of the fish.

With the ammonia increase you may want to do a small (10%) water change for Scooters sake, I'll bet the Karratha sea water is pristine so will be perfect for this.
The ammonia spike will now lead to the Nitrite spike so test kits will be needed from here to gauge where you are at.

I mentioned in my previous post that i don't have any experience with online stores but i do have experience with these guy's as they are near me in Perth
Cant speak for their online service but for a LFS they are great and their web site mentions a flat shipping rate of $7.70 for orders between $40 and $120 and free shipping for order over $120.

I dont want to harp on it but i cant stress enough the importance of patience.
Good things come to those who wait

Last edited:

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks guys, we will do a 10% water change today and I will jump online and get some nitrate and nitrite etc tester kits express posted.

Scooter looks like a Blenny, he has developed a white spot on his head overnight. I hope he is ok and the water change helps

Waylah

Sep 11, 2016
This tank is not suitable for a blue tang, at all. They need very large spaces to swim. Even most types of clowns need a bit more space than the OP's tank, you should be getting Ocellaris clowns for that size.

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
Waylah

Are you Miss SaltWatertank?

Just curious to know.

Last edited:

Mott

Feb 15, 2017
I did the 10% water change and purchased a nitrate/nitrite tester. All going well. The spots on the Blenny (Scooter) must have been a reflection or lack of sleep on my part as they aren't there anymore
There is some nice pink and purple tinges forming on the live rock

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Nice, sounds like things are moving along.

Waylah makes a good point but i didn't want to go all Tang Police on you which is why i pointed out to get a small one with an upgrade in mind (Tang police sirens in the back ground)
Your tank is on the small side.
Ideally you would have a bigger tank from the start.

Do your research and make informed decisions, if you don't plan on upgrading then Dory should definitely not be on your list.
Bigger tanks are better for any fish, doesn't mean you cant do it in stages.
I have seen medium size Naso Tangs (which grow to almost 60cm) in 3ft tanks, at some point they either have to get rid of them or upgrade and many of them do upgrade. Doesn't mean the Naso didn't thrive to a certain point in the smaller tank.
I wanted a Naso in my 170cm tank but decided against it (on advice) as it is only 60cm wide so a near full grown Naso would struggle to turn and I don't plan on upgrading :D

It's always best to plan from the start and get the tank size you want to end up with but this isn't always the case so upgrades are acceptable imo