New To Reefing

Robtoss

Jan 23, 2016
Hmmm so this remain as unexplained deaths @Robtoss ?

I'm curious...
So am I. Decided to leave adding any fish for a while and do more water changes. Then proceed to put some really hardy fish in to start and if all ok then slowly add others. Still doesnt answer the problem though!

Not sure what the pH is ezza,
I haven't tested it (everything else)
but now you raise the pH shock I will test it and get back.

Thought of that but we try and minimise any sprays in the room that the tank is in. As to the equipment- how would I knowif it was?
Outside of the look of the equipment (rust or alike) I'm not sure. It is the only thing that I can think of. Everything else seems okay.

Robtoss

Jan 23, 2016
Can you describe your filtration system please ?

It looks like you might be using a canister filter - do you have a skimmer?
Yes am running a canister but also a skimmer. Skimmer is giving good output and was advised appropriate size for tank. It is a hang on one and can be seen behind the heater in the pic.
Had the cannister so thought why not. Give a bit of extra biofiltration and some physical filtration too.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The tank looks ok from what I can see. Perhaps more surface agitation to oxygenate the water would be of benefit but if you have a skimmer that should be covering that.

Are those biopellets in the back of the tank there? If so, remove them, wait a week and add a fish.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
So am I. Decided to leave adding any fish for a while and do more water changes. Then proceed to put some really hardy fish in to start and if all ok then slowly add others. Still doesnt answer the problem though!
People might disagree but what's the point of putting hardy fish if you don't like them? At the end of the day, say that they survive hence good indication that your tank is now good to go and you will be at the point where you want to take it out this hardy fish (presumably Damsel) and put in fish that you like.

Just my 2 cents :)

Robtoss

Jan 23, 2016
People might disagree but what's the point of putting hardy fish if you don't like them? At the end of the day, say that they survive hence good indication that your tank is now good to go and you will be at the point where you want to take it out this hardy fish (presumably Damsel) and put in fish that you like.

Just my 2 cents :)
Appreciate the input. I actually like the damsel so it would stay. I do agree with your statement though.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Agent M
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
No that is a course filter media/ sponge in the skimmer.
Wow really, ugh its a shame you don't live local so I can visit and try to work it out. Stumped!

Only other thing I can think of is the fish got ich or some other issue and it wiped them out.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Maybe do some major water changes (50%), leave for a week, and then add a fish ??

Hopefully that would dilute any toxins in the water.

Robtoss

Jan 23, 2016
Maybe do some major water changes (50%), leave for a week, and then add a fish ??

Hopefully that would dilute any toxins in the water.
Have been doing 30% changes three times per week to hopefully achieve this. Next step a fish! Fingers crossed.
Thanks to all for the input. I will let you know how it goes.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Thanks hoangii,
If it had white spot it would be visable on the wouldnt it?
Marine ich has four life stages, only one is visible. By the time it's visible the rotten little parasites have been at it for a while, hence the benefit of QT tanks.

Your numbers look fine except nitrates, is that 6ppm?

The real question might be, did all the fish come from the same place? There is one LFS in Melb that I no longer go to because every single fish or coral I got there, died within weeks. No I won't name because I don't have any facts other than the deaths.

Also how long was the travel from source to your tank? This won't be a problem for most but I travel 2-3 hours one way to visit LFS and in those circumstances it makes a huge difference, the bag simply has to be inflated with oxygen, not air, or survival rates are poor.

Robtoss

Jan 23, 2016
Tank cycled and stocked. No deaths since reintroduction of the fish 6 weeks ago. Looks like I have overcome whatever it was that caused the problems.
Again thanks for all the assistance, it is very much appreciated.