Reef Discussion

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Unexpected Orchid Dottyback bubs
@dr_schell

In your opinion, what are the ideal conditions for optimal nanno growth (speed wise)? Because I have some orchid dottyback bubs that have hatched (that I didn't expect to!) and am wanting to give them the best chance.

Back story for everyone else:
Yesterday we moved the inhabitants of our tank from the old Akvastabil across to our new AquaReef 400 (see our TJ). During the move, Les lifted one of the rocks and an egg mass when floating away through the tank.
I collected them *hoping* that they would hatch, but having no illusions that they would given the care usually attended to them by the male Orchid. But I had an idea ....
A little while ago I had read a thread on another forum where a member had succesfully hatched eggs with similar care requirements by putting them in water with an airstone that tumbled them gently. So I dug up an old artemia hatchery that we had purchased and hooked it up using a valve to control the flow.
I mounted the unit in our new sump (using water from the old tank) and turned it on. Sure enough, I was able to get the mass to tumble nicely, so I closed the cabinet and left them alone.
I knew that the bubs weren't far off hatching b/c I could see their little eyes, but I wasn't expecting what I just saw:

Baby Dottybacks being tumbled around with the mass! They've started to hatch!!

...But now I've got to feed them and I'm not prepared at ALL b/c it's been a while since I last saw Dottyback bubs in the tank so I'd assumed that they weren't breeding ATM :( Buggar.

Anywho, I'm going to see if I can get my nanno producing fast enough to sustain enough rots to grow these lil guys - but again, I'm not holding my breath.

Pics and vid below :)

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_Fish_20breeding_20130527_114348_zps79c91c5a.jpg

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_Fish_20breeding_th_20130527_114407_zps77bf845a.jpg

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Thanks, luv :D I hope so, too!
I'd added some nanno and rots for the ones that have hatched. There are a bunch more that haven't yet, but from memory, they hatch out over a couple of days so I'll keep watching them :)
I'm just so stoked that they hatched, to be honest!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
@dr_schell

In your opinion, what are the ideal conditions for optimal nanno growth (speed wise)? Because I have some orchid dottyback bubs that have hatched (that I didn't expect to!) and am wanting to give them the best chance.

Back story for everyone else:
Yesterday we moved the inhabitants of our tank from the old Akvastabil across to our new AquaReef 400 (see our TJ). During the move, Les lifted one of the rocks and an egg mass when floating away through the tank.
I collected them *hoping* that they would hatch, but having no illusions that they would given the care usually attended to them by the male Orchid. But I had an idea ....
A little while ago I had read a thread on another forum where a member had succesfully hatched eggs with similar care requirements by putting them in water with an airstone that tumbled them gently. So I dug up an old artemia hatchery that we had purchased and hooked it up using a valve to control the flow.
I mounted the unit in our new sump (using water from the old tank) and turned it on. Sure enough, I was able to get the mass to tumble nicely, so I closed the cabinet and left them alone.
I knew that the bubs weren't far off hatching b/c I could see their little eyes, but I wasn't expecting what I just saw:

Baby Dottybacks being tumbled around with the mass! They've started to hatch!!

...But now I've got to feed them and I'm not prepared at ALL b/c it's been a while since I last saw Dottyback bubs in the tank so I'd assumed that they weren't breeding ATM :( Buggar.

Anywho, I'm going to see if I can get my nanno producing fast enough to sustain enough rots to grow these lil guys - but again, I'm not holding my breath.

Pics and vid below :)

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_Fish_20breeding_20130527_114348_zps79c91c5a.jpg

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_Fish_20breeding_th_20130527_114407_zps77bf845a.jpg
Keep the temp around 28 degrees and a 24h photo period. Gentle aration and nutrient rich water
re-establish the culture every 36h do ensure depletion of resouses does not occur.
Good luck

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Well, so far so good! All of the eggs have hatched! I'm so stocked that the tumbling has worked!!
So I've gone for a KISS setup for the fry, adding rotifers and nanno (pics tomorrow) and we'll see how we go! :-D

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Ok, here's a pic of my KISS set up:

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_Fish_20breeding_20130529_103025_zps2c147648.jpg

It's a cookie jar, a small set-temp heater (26degrees), a sprinkler upriser and a pump/valve :)

So far the rotifers are breeding in there like crazye, but there have been quite a few dotty deaths :( There are still a abunch alive though, so I'm hopefull that I' keep them going for a little while

And as much as I'd LOVE to post of pic of the tiny bubs, I'm not that good on a camera lol, so I'll hold off on that one for now ;)

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
im no expert but wouldnt you have to be carefull not to have the dieing off of the fry in the jar,polluting the water?

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
That's what siphoning the bottom and 50% water changes 3x daily is for ;-)
But sadly, my human baby had a horror day today and I didn't get the opportunity (or even memory, on the back of a horror night!) to feed the bubs or the rotifers that may have remained in the tank, let alone clean it, so I lost the lot :-(
Oh well. I guess that's just the reality of having a small, non-automated setup and a newborn while you're home alone.