Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
They are Palythoa and yes, yours are particularly ugly looking buggers.

However, I have found that placing them under different conditions can bring out much better colours in them. So, all is not lost - perhaps give them a bit more light and they might turn green.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have a bucket load of the same and nuder the right light the centers actually "pop"

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
I will give it a try and get some light onto them... i noticed them the day I introduced this piece to the tank (large leather with star polyps growing around its base) the paly end got pushed into the shade.... are these guys bad for palytoxin hence the name?

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
I am still unsure of this that has sprung up and growing fast.... i had posted it once before but with a bad picture here is a slightly better one
20160408_172802.jpg

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Many of the brownish paly can develop really bright coloured centres, if under good light. They often need to be moved up in the tank too. I was given some brown a couple of years ago, they are now quite a highlite in my tank, both under blue or white light they are toxic green. They are in fact my favourite of all the zoas and palys I have in my tank (some 30 varieties).

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Don't know what the pink thing is but it looks very pretty.

From what I have read the paly's are very toxic so if you decide to scrape them off the rock, do it in a separate container of water and dump that water afterwards. Also, wear gloves and goggles when handling them and have a strict wash up regime.