Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Turbo Snails Can You Have To Many
i have a couple (read hundreds) of turbos as per title can you have to many should i cull some

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It depends what you mean by too may

From a biological point of view Basically they will self manage their population in the form of limited size, so as long as they have bred up to that number the answer is no.

I have kept several thousand at a time in standard four footers and from an atheistic point of view I'd argue yes, this gets a big over the top ( but this is personal preference )

If you feel it's looking a little crowded ,take that as an opportunity to help some others out and prevent the ocean being raped of them by offering them up in the classifieds or passing some on to a friend.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I must have thousands in my 6ft tank. The only time I notice them is when the lights are out. During the day they aren't active at all.
I guess they are eating left over food and algae so it must be good that they are there.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I also have hundreds in my tank but they are only active of a night time. During the day most of them bunker down on the glass just below the top of the sand.

I have probably taken out 200 over the past 2 years and have quite a few empty shells as they self regulate - so I don't think you can have too many but, if you don't want some to die when food levels drop, take some out and move them on to other tanks.