Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Traget feed and then corals expel 'mucous'?
I have been target feeding reef roids for a couple of months now....turn off circulation and pump for a while then turn on circulation and after a while the pump.

Tonight though nearly all the corals expelled a 'mucous' type substance as soon as I put circulation on...any ideas?

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
no idea why they would all expel mucous but I would be careful with it, even fish it out with a net if possible as from what I have read these mucous's can be quite toxic to different corals.

generally a coral will expell that mucous when there is some form of a stress involved. anything different happen tonight?

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
should be ok!

strange how these things happen out of nowhere, but not unheard of!

did any of the corals retract or react in anyway after all this happened?

Only thing I can think of is that the circulation must have game them a shock of some sort. did the feeding take any longer then normal? as in was there now flow for some time then all of a sudden got blasted?

just throwing out some ideas to work it out is all, wouldnt mind knowing myself :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My torch corals do this in a big way when I feed mysis shrimp... They will eat the shrimp and then within a few hours they will retract almost completely and expel a brown stringy mucous then re-inflate themselves and carry on as normal.

If yours does similar to this then I wouldnt worry to much as from what I have read it is basically the coral equivalent of defecating.