Reef Discussion

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
torch coral spawning?
Woke up this morning to find my torch coral has what looks like eggs being let out of its mouth on a lucid looking web....could this be spawning or something else? Any help would b appreciated :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Woke up this morning to find my torch coral has what looks like eggs being let out of its mouth on a lucid looking web....could this be spawning or something else? Any help would b appreciated :)
That was my wife speaking... By lucid she meant mucus but her phone has a funny predictive text... apparently...

torchspawning.jpg
torchspawning2.jpg

Here you can see the mucous web and the "eggs"

Are these corals hermaphroditic? Do they reproduce by themselves or do they need a male and female?

Will the young survive or will they all be eaten? This torch is in my mantis tank which has only been established for about 2 months and the light has only been on for half of that. The tank was started with almost entirely base/dead rock with a couple of pieces of seeded base rock from my other tank I wouldnt have thought that the tank was mature enough for corals to start spawning?

Thanks for any help,
Jack.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
cool :)

They are hermaphrodites releasing viable planula highly likely to settle on the glass rocks etc. So if you see any aptaisa looking things double check before before trying to knock them off.

I have been feeding my torches profusely with limited success of late, very jealous :rolleyes

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Th
cool :)

They are hermaphrodites releasing viable planula highly likely to settle on the glass rocks etc. So if you see any aptaisa looking things double check before before trying to knock them off.

I have been feeding my torches profusely with limited success of late, very jealous :rolleyes
Thanks... I did nothing! I just moved them to a tank with LEDs as opposed to worn out halides, they perked up within hours and within about 2 days had polyp extension like i have never seen and then... the spawning!!