Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Toadstool Out Growing Tank
Hey all,

I have an inevitable problem facing my tank. The overgrowth of my toadstool coral.

It's a great thing that it is growing so readily and so happy, but it is beginning to grow at a great rate and i fear within about 2 months, its tenure mightn't be sustainable in the tank...

what should i do? It is fused to four different rock. Two easily can be removed, the other two... not so much. I would love to keep it and if there is somethig i could do to ensure I can keep it, it would be great!

Thanks all! and here's to another great day!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
They are ready hardy. Look at "Fragging" it. keep some for yourself and give/sell other frags. It will reduce the size in your tank and "coral bank" it (if your tank crashes in the future and you really love this coral, the recipient/s may give/sell you a frag back).

Leathers are one of the hardiest of corals and are really easy to frag.

Also, when you do make some frags, after the initial period of re-sealing the wound, the extra growth will help take up excess nutrients (albeit on a small scale)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
What Macca said - frag and sell or swap. Post them on the classifieds on here :)
I would be inclined to use the bits attached to the 4 different rocks as your frags, leaving the original coral on the main rock.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
What Macca said - frag and sell or swap. Post them on the classifieds on here :)
I would be inclined to use the bits attached to the 4 different rocks as your frags, leaving the original coral on the main rock.
I would do the opposite. Carefully remove and frag the main colony. The bits on the rock (if you leave enough) should all re-grow a new head.