Reef Discussion

Tips To Culture Nannochloropsis Oculata
hey there! I am planning on doing an experiment involving Nannochloropsis oculata. For those of you who have some experience in culturing them, or at least keeping them alive:

- do you have to provide CO2 or is it enough with the one included in the water?
- does it need a special light intensity (i.e. white LED, special lamp...)
- is it easy to maintain and culture, or it's likely to die?
- any other tips/ recommendations?

thank you very much

P.s If anyone has Nannochloropsis oculata and lives in Queensland, PLEASE inbox me!! :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @Alltheusernamesareinuse :welcome (I'm glad The Reefuge has auto complete on Usernames :p)

• Not sure about CO2?? I use a relatively strong stream of air bubbles through mine
  • I don't believe a 'special' light intensity is required. I have seen setups using standard florescent bulbs; standard incandescent bulbs etc. I use a small DIY LED setup which has worked well for over a year. I think that @Dave001 just has his outside in sunlight
  • Experiences may vary, but, personally, I have found it fairly easy to keep alive. I have maintained a culture for almost 18 months and haven't really gone close to loosing it.
  • Dave might be able to provide some for you - if not, we should be able to sort something out.
You will find a few threads dealing with nanno - these are a good start -

http://thereefuge.com/threads/rotifers-and-green-water-information.6624/#post-95011
http://thereefuge.com/threads/green-water-live-phyto.9019/#post-124667

thank you @MagicJ ! (and yeah, it was impossible finding a username haha) and thanks for the links to the other threads, very helpful:)

I've got a problem with the second stage of the experiment though. I have to place the algae in test tubes, and put them in a test tube block heater (it's similar to the one in the photo, but the holes for the test tubes are bigger, like for 100mL test tubes). Will the algae be able to carry out the photosynthesis in a normal way without an external source of CO2? (It would be hard to put a pump in each test tube). Or it's better if I find another way of manipulating the temperature?

@Dave001 do you have Nannochloropsis & live in Morayfield? I'm trying to get UQ to give me some but if it does not work, would you be able to provide me some?

thanks a loooot!
Jy-Bio-Dry-Heating-Block-Heater-Testtube-Heater.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I am pretty sure that @Dave001 lives in Morayfield :)

Are you able to give a précis of your experiment? What are the variables and what will the measurable outcomes be?

I am investigating temperature as a factor affecting the rate of the photosynthesis of Nannochloropsis oculata. I measure the rate by measuring the pH - a more alkaline pH would mean that there is an increased CO2 uptake implying that the photosynthetic rate is greater.
I put the algae at different temperatures (my idea was to place the test tubes in the test tube block heater), I wait 48 hours, and measure the pH. It's pretty easy.

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Sorry, I don't have any spare nano at the moment, mine got contaminated and wiped out the whole 120L culture and I've had to start again from 5L, so will probably be a couple of months until I've got any spare.

wow that sucks sorry to hear that! I think I talked with DrSchell and he doesn't have any at the moment neither.
Any other people that would have it? Or how did you get it @Dave001?

Ehm what about my second part of the experiment? Do you reckon that would work out?

heya don't you guys worry, I got the nanno from the university of Queensland!!!
only one question, is it a bad signal if it goes to the bottom of the bottle? Is it normal or it means that it's dying?