Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Tips on how to tell if coral likes the water flow
I find it very difficult to judge the flow and whether corals are happy...any tips? or guides?

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
For SPS, look at the polyps, when you have good random turbulent flow they will flow side to side, up and down, sometimes gently, then violently when a surge goes by, in all directions ideally. For colonies which are tabling in structure, i try to ensure there is good flow going vertically up from below and through the coral as well good lateral flow.

this video gives you a good idea

For LPS my experience is see how much they are expanding, if you think they could be getting too much flow try moving it to a lower flow area and seeing how it opens up the next day.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if i had that much flow in the video in my tank my LPS would loose all its heads!. i run very minimal flow on an alternating pulse current. very indirect with the wave makers not pointed at any corals. i have found hammers like minimal flow as high flow damages them very easily

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
Sorry just to add my experience is mainly with SPS corals, i have 2 LPS in my tank and have had trouble placing them, they are not happy and they expanded larger in QT, so will be trading them in soon which is a shame as I love the movement they provide

After going diving on the reef and experiencing what the currents were like, I got a whole new understanding and appreciation for where our inverts come from, and as a result also become a bit obsessed with flow in my new tank :P

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
I thin as Gunnie said, polyp extension gives u a pretty good idea. When I have too much flow, my LPS retract and sulk for a day or so. If you have direct flow on SPS their polyps with retract and you can blow the skin off them. For my SPS, because I have constant speed cheapie wavemakers, I direct them toward one another a few cm's in front of my SPS. The flow patterns collide and become random and turbulent. Its best to work this out when u do a clean and the waters' full of crap, you can see how the water is moving. I have about 50x turnover in my tank, but the way it is setup my SPS get atleast that or stronger, and my LPS wave quite a bit but gently. I dont wana touch it now as they all look very extended and happy !