Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Time For A Reboot
Over the past 6 months I’ve let the tank “just be” and haven’t had the time or inclination to keep it where or how it should be. This includes fixing problems when I see them.

We are planning on going on a trip for 6 months next year (with someone house sitting) so I’ve had to make a decision – either empty it or fix it. I have chosen the later.

I’ve made a list of to-do’s which I need to get done by March next year (See below).

On a positive note, it’s been 9 months since I last tested the water or checked anything. Below are the results and although not great – they have been stable for the most part.

16/9/18 165 (Alk) 0.70 (PO4) 14 (NO3) 1.028 (Salinity) 515 (Ca) 1500 (Mg)

29/6/19 176 (Alk) 1.02 (PO4) 24 (NO3) 1.201 (Salinity) 458 (Ca) 1600 (Mg)

Temp remains stable at 26.7 +/- 0.2

pH swings between 8.9 and 9 (I need to re calibrate the sensor, but the swings are consistent)

ORP swings between 250 and 260 consistently in direct opposite direction of pH

• As of today I have turned to ATO off. The Litermeter will effectively be topping off with NSW, raising the salinity slowly over about 1 week I am guessing.
  • I’ll dose a few ml’s of Lanthanan Chloride every day until the PO4 drops to around 0.2 – might tale a few weeks based on previous experiences.
Over the past months I have been buying up 2nd hand and new hardware.

I’ve swapped the trusty old Tunze 9420 out for a Deltec SC 1660. The Deltec does skim slightly better however it’s far easier to tune to a wet or dry skimmate. Flip side is it also over skims easily.

I’ve bought (2) Profilux 3’s. I have the P3eX running the tank and an older P3 that I use for testing for my new light controller – more on that later. I have a total of 16 switched points and 7 unused dosing heads. I’ve got the pH, ORP and temp probes. The conductivity probe has failed so I will need to replace it. As a separate piece of equipment I also bought a GHL Doser 2.1 Stand Alone which is current running it’s 4 channels dosing. I also purchase 2 x 4 port 1-10v interfaces (giving me a total of 14 x 1-10V ports). I intend to use 9 for my DIY lights and 4 for the Tunze pumps. They last may eventually be used on a return pump in conjunction with a DC return pump.

For the light's I've had to print off more controller boards. These are on the way and should fix the issues with the current light setup. I'll also be swapping from the Bluefish mini to Profilux to control the lights.

To Do’s (over the next 9 months)

Equipment

• Fix my lights. I am building an Arduino to convert the 1-10v out of the Profilux to a PWM signal to be used by the lights. I have 3 DIY light fixtures daisy chained together with 9 channels.
  • Fit skimmer neck cleaner. I purchased an Avast Swabbie from the US – this should significantly automate looking after the tank while we are not home.
  • Fit float switch to Skimmer. The skimmer cup is emptied by a Litermeter (set to 2L/day so the cup should be empty). It also has a drain which should start syphoning (because of the loop in the hose) when the cup is about ½ full. If these 2 fail I want the float valve to shut the skimmer off and send me an alert via the Profilux.
  • Purchase calibration fluids for ORP, pH and conductivity.
  • Replace Conductivity probe.
  • Setup webcam so I can remotely visually check equipment and tank.

Livestock

• #1 – a massive war on Aiptasia. I was winning it with my Copper-band over a 6 month period until the fish mysteriously passed away overnight. Not sure whether to add another large Copper-band or File fish. I can’t do peppermint shrimp as the Flame Hawk will just turn it into an expensive meal.
  • #2 – Bristle worms. These I am good at growing along with Aiptasia but I think I need to start trapping them and removing them out. Far too many of them
  • #3 – add some stock. Once the lights are fixed and I fix my water parameters I’d like to start adding some low maintenance soft corals.
  • #4 – possible add some more fish. Definitely a Copper-band or File fish, maybe a few Bangaii Cardinal and a pair of Mandarin fish if I happen across them at a LFS.

If I can get the above done before we leave on holiday I’ll be a very happy camper…..

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Pleased to hear you chose to keep the tank.
It's a great to-do list, look forward to seeing the pics.
I think having goals like this keeps the hobby interesting.
Your post sounds all too familiar on so many counts...

I picked up a file fish and it dealt to my aiptasia problem,
Have never kept a Copperband, how was your's around corals and other fish?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Pleased to hear you chose to keep the tank.
It's a great to-do list, look forward to seeing the pics.
I think having goals like this keeps the hobby interesting.
Your post sounds all too familiar on so many counts...

I picked up a file fish and it dealt to my aiptasia problem,
Have never kept a Copperband, how was your's around corals and other fish?
Finding a store with a File fish seems to be harder than you would think....

The sooner I can get this one in the sooner it can go to work :-)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The problem with Copperband butterflies, unfortunately, is where they come from and how they're caught. I'd take a stab that 60% come out of Indonesia and are caught with cyanide. A good Copperband is bulletproof. I have a mated pair at the shop that we've had for 7 years. I won't buy ANY marine fish out of Bali or Jakarta, I do have a great guy in Manado that collects for me and his stock is top notch.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I'm hoping this bad boy will start to make a dent on the Aiptasia when he is released. It took a few days in the keeper but he is eating all sorts of frozen food now. I'll probably keep him isolated for another week or so before releasing him.

20190706_123829.jpg

I wish I had a quarantine tank setup - but I don't. Best I can do is isolate and make sure they are eating and not underweight before releasing them. The clear isolation box also allows other tanks makes to see and be around him without being able to harass and force into hiding.

Small steps to recovery....

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Good job on the acclimation box.
If your file fish is anything like mine, you'll look back and laugh at the "success" of getting it to feed on frozen!
If you have fleshy corals, they will probably be munched on.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Just so I keep myself motivated.

Just as the parts arrived to fix my DIY lights, these came up at the right price so it was out with the old and in the with (2nd hand) new :). Also check out the aiptasia farm in the tank - it's a real warts and all picture ...

Mitras.jpg

And this guy has settled in nicely (although it wouldn't come out for a photo)

Filefish.jpg

But I have seen it munching on these (and yes this is a particularly bad spot but hopefully I am on the right path)

aiptasia.jpg

Attachments